Cutting up a jersey for nameplates

I have a black Ultrafil practice jersey that I’ve tried to sell, to no avail. I figured maybe I could cut it up and sell the material for plates. 

Anyone have advice on how to do it? My working theory is, make sure to cut them like a half inch taller than needed so the edges can be done buy the recipient or their customizer, and cut the strips as long as possible; I can always shorten them later, but ya can’t make them longer.

I’d cut along the seams first, to make sure I’m starting out with the most amount of uninterrupted Ultrafil I can find. 

I’d use the sharpest scissor I can find. 

Do I have it about right? Is there even a market for black Ultrafil plates?

Any and all opinions welcome. 

I cut up a 2.0 Stars jersey I used as a project and did just that with all the excess material. Pretty much measured nameplates on my current jerseys then cut about 1" larger. Still have a bunch of black edge and airknit nameplates for sale. So while I know there's a market for them, I don't know if I'd expect to sell them all and make money on them. Of course, ultrafil is arguably more desirable than airknit/edge due to the age.

22 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

I cut up a 2.0 Stars jersey I used as a project and did just that with all the excess material. Pretty much measured nameplates on my current jerseys then cut about 1" larger. Still have a bunch of black edge and airknit nameplates for sale. So while I know there's a market for them, I don't know if I'd expect to sell them all and make money on them. Of course, ultrafil is arguably more desirable than airknit/edge due to the age.

I'm struggling to sell the jersey for $25, I am thinking I could harvest the crest to use at some future date (at least a $15 value) and if I sold a couple nameplates, I'd be ahead. Could sell the fight strap as well, I guess. I'm not necessarily looking to sell them all, and I don't mind listing them and then just waiting until someone needs them. 

Would you say my technique would be approximately what you did? Strips 1" taller than a nameplate and as long as possible, since they could always be cut down later? 

Did you sell them by length, or was every piece just the same price?

Considering doing it over my Christmas vacation, so any advice is appreciated.