AParrotLooksAt40

Edge 2.0 vs 1.0

Recommended Posts

In terms of both comfort of material and durability, is there a preference among collectors on which is best? I know players didn't like the 1.0, but I was wondering from a fans perspective and occasional wear for games and around town, what do you prefer? I have a few 2.0s but am considering a 1.0 and am just wondering what to expect besides slight changes in fit and material. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

In terms of both comfort of material and durability, is there a preference among collectors on which is best? I know players didn't like the 1.0, but I was wondering from a fans perspective and occasional wear for games and around town, what do you prefer? I have a few 2.0s but am considering a 1.0 and am just wondering what to expect besides slight changes in fit and material. 

I consider the 1.0 material to be softer, and the sleeves to be longer. You have to worry about the material getting snagged on corners and getting pulls with the 1.0 moreso than the 2.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the 1.0 material just on the front and shoulders? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CJ Matthews said:

I consider the 1.0 material to be softer, and the sleeves to be longer. You have to worry about the material getting snagged on corners and getting pulls with the 1.0 moreso than the 2.0.

That's a pretty accurate statement. I happen to like the material of the 1.0 from a wearing/comfort perspective, but it does not seem as durable. I don't own one at present but I never had any issue with wear or snags on the ones I have owned and worn casually and to games. 

The sleeves are very long on a 1.0. This doesn't phase me and my 37" sleeve, but I would imagine the shorter your arms are, the more of an issue it is. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's a pretty accurate statement. I happen to like the material of the 1.0 from a wearing/comfort perspective, but it does not seem as durable. I don't own one at present but I never had any issue with wear or snags on the ones I have owned and worn casually and to games. 

The sleeves are very long on a 1.0. This doesn't phase me and my 37" sleeve, but I would imagine the shorter your arms are, the more of an issue it is. 

 

So if a 54 2.0 is already my limit sleeve-wise, I'd need to adjust down in size for a 1.0. What is the difference in length? An inch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always preferred the 2.0 because it felt more like the older 6100 style jerseys, which I think are the most comfortable jersey there was.  Super roomy feel, something about the old KOHO/CCM style of the early 2000's that were the best.  The 1.0 felt too form fitting, and 2.0 had the same basic edge cut design, both with the wider arms, I just liked it better.

But everyone one has their own preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Isn't the 1.0 material just on the front and shoulders? 

The snaggy material is on the sleeves, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

I always preferred the 2.0 because it felt more like the older 6100 style jerseys, which I think are the most comfortable jersey there was.  Super roomy feel, something about the old KOHO/CCM style of the early 2000's that were the best.  The 1.0 felt too form fitting, and 2.0 had the same basic edge cut design, both with the wider arms, I just liked it better.

But everyone one has their own preference.

This pretty much the reason why I like the 2.0's better too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

What is the difference in length? An inch?

That's what she said. 

I don't know the actual answer, and can't take measurements not having any 1.0's handy other than a goalie cut, which has shorter sleeves than a player's jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like aside from price, if I'm wearing long sleeves under the jersey, there isn't much argument for the 1.0s unless it's accuracy with customization. I want durability and already like the 2.0, so it sounds like that's the way to go. Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

It sounds like aside from price, if I'm wearing long sleeves under the jersey, there isn't much argument for the 1.0s unless it's accuracy with customization. I want durability and already like the 2.0, so it sounds like that's the way to go. Thanks all!

Or unless you can't find a particular team's 2.0 and only a 1.0 is available. But that's pretty unlikely at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always liked the xtrafil material on the shoulders/elbows of 1.0 jerseys. If Reebok would have made an entire jersey out of that stuff it would have been awesome!! Wasn't a fan of the front/sleeve material as others have said it snags pretty easily. It is soft though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

I always liked the xtrafil material on the shoulders/elbows of 1.0 jerseys. If Reebok would have made an entire jersey out of that stuff it would have been awesome!! Wasn't a fan of the front/sleeve material as others have said it snags pretty easily. It is soft though.

Exactly right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the bubble mesh is just so cheap feeling.  Not only is it thin and snag easily, but I find it picks up way more dog/cat hair.  I'm constantly pulling hair off of me.

Also, I don't believe that the 1.0's had double material in the elbows?  At least the few that I own do not.  And that adds to the overall cheapness of it all.

Love that Xtrafil material, though.  I think that's the same material that's on the 3.0 practice jerseys, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.0s are the greatest hockey jerseys ever created IMHO, but I am a tall lanky guy and a 2.0 absolutely swallows me whole; looks ridiculous. To me it isn't so much that the sleeves on the 1.0 are longer, but that the sleeves on the 2.0 are too short. The 1.0 was the perfect jersey for fans because it wasn't made to fit over pads and looked good on a normal person—it didn't fit like a muumuu. As others have said, it is slightly more delicate because of the front/sleeve material (I get very nervous while wearing one around my cat and dog and their claws), but all mine have held up really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Also, I don't believe that the 1.0's had double material in the elbows?  At least the few that I own do not.  And that adds to the overall cheapness of it all.

Love that Xtrafil material, though.  I think that's the same material that's on the 3.0 practice jerseys, correct?

You are correct, no double elbows. If I recall correctly, Reebok stated that xtrafil was supposedly used on high abrasion areas (shoulders/elbows). Although, the shoulder are double layered so it doesn't really make sense that the elbows wouldn't be as well...

 

Both 2.0's and 3.0's use xtrafil (or xtrafil-like) material on the shoulders and part of the sleeves. Probably another reason I enjoy those jerseys so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

You are correct, no double elbows. If I recall correctly, Reebok stated that xtrafil was supposedly used on high abrasion areas (shoulders/elbows). Although, the shoulder are double layered so it doesn't really make sense that the elbows wouldn't be as well...

I wouldn't be surprised if the double elbows were eliminated as a cost-saving measure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1.0 was an abortion, plain and simple. There was an absolute reason that the vast majority of teams in the NHL and AHL dumped it after the first season. And it was completely gone not long afterward. The material snagged, it easily ripped and board burned, and it retained body heat way too much. The stories of players dumping pools of sweat from gloves and pants are true. I posted the first examples of the differences of the 1.0 and 2.0 back in 2008. The 2.0 is a far superior product. Heavier, more comfortable, better looking, more durable. The Edge 1.0 was the "New Coke" of the jersey world (if your under 40, Google that). I just got a couple 1.0 LEM gamers from MeiGray, and I wore one to the game this weekend. Wearing the same base shirt I would normally wear, I was much warmer and sweated much more. That reminded me of why I never wear or even pull out any of the 1.0's I have, which are quite a few. I suppose though that some people wax nostalgic about old things. There is a site where idiots claim that old Bowie RCA cd's made from cassette masters are far superior to the ones made from the true masters (the fact that they pay stupid money for them may play a role in that). I suppose that there is no right or wrong when it comes to taste. I just can't believe that anyone who truly loves jerseys could prefer the abortion known as the Edge 1.0 to the 2.0. Or anything else for that matter. Unless it is the Nike Swift. That's a whole other story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now