Help identifying a Team Canada jersey

JeffB

73652403_tp.jpg

I figure this style is from 1995 or 1996. It's a CCM and after a pretty comprehensive search on webshots I managed to find just a single photo of this CCM style with next to no information except to confirm it was a "95-96" jersey. It did have the standard two color block numbers as worn on the 1996 World Cup jerseys.

I was able to find a picture of a Canada jersey with this diagonal striping pattern worn in the 1995 World Juniors, only it had the large Reebok shoulder logos like worn in Lillehammer Olympics in 1994 and the "Tackla" style drop shadow number font.

This leaves the World Juniors of 1996 and the World Championships of 1995 and 1996 as possibilities before changing to the "waving flag" styles of the 1996 World Cup, but photos from those events are pretty hard to come by.

What I can tell from this photo from the 1996 World Juniors is that they do not appear to be the same style due to the striping pattern on the arms, also putting into doubt their use in the 1996 World Championships, which are usually held 3-4 months after.

1996wjc_indexpic.jpg

I seem to have narrowed it down to the 1995 World Championships based on what I have presented above, but pictures from the World Championships back then are just impossible to find online.

Does anyone know when this style was worn, and perhaps share any photos?

Is it possible this was a Spengler Cup jerseys?

It's quite possible, but visual evidence to support that is going to be incredibly scarce. Then I'd have to find a roster in order to pick a name and number to add to it, another challenge in itself.

There is also a "Canadian National Team" that was active during that time, but no visual record of that team online anywhere that I can find.

I've been able to rule out the World Juniors completely though. Since that comes before the World Championships, I can also rule out the 1996 Worlds, which I confirmed with a youtube video last night. That only leaves the 1995 Worlds as a possiblity.

No matter what, I've gotten it isolated to 1995. Now I would just like to confirm which one of three teams, Spengler Cup, Canadian National Team (which may have been the team to compete in the Spengler Cup) or the World Championships.

JeffB

Is it possible this was a Spengler Cup jerseys?

Here's a great response I got from the game worn boards.

"Hello Jeff,this style of jersey you have was used by Canada's National mens team during the 95-96 season in their touring games in North America and abroad.

It is a one year style which was used by all teams in 95-96 within the then Canadian Hockey Association.

In 1997-98 when I was with the team as a trainer,I had the opportunity to sell these jerseys for the team.Gus,who is now with the Flames had given me about 100 jerseys to sell and they also included jerseys from the 95-96 World Junior Challenge where Canada had Team Ontario,Team West,Team Pacific as entries and the back of these jerseys had nameplates of Ontario,West,Pacific,as well as quite a few of the 95-96 mens National team jerseys."

Canada's National Men's Team, for those of you who may not be familiar with that program, "was a full-time program from 1963-68 and 1983-2000, giving Canada a presence at major international events and also served as a development program for players moving on to sign NHL, minor league and international contracts, as well as giving players the opportunity to travel the world and represent their country. A number of NHL teams gained from this program, as graduates such as Eric Lindros, Sean Burke, Adrian Aucoin, Chris Therien, Joé Juneau, James Patrick and Fred Brathwaite went on to illustrious NHL careers."

So, you were correct in that the National Men's Team would have been the one sent to play in the Spengler Cup at the time. They did win the cup in 1995, the year my jersey is from, with a collection of relatively anonymous players, except for Edmonton Oiler Glenn Anderson, the clear and obvious choice to get put on my jersey.

Well....that was informative answer

But the Spengler Cup teams are comprised of Canadian Players playing in Europe,Correct?

V

Well....that was informative answer

But the Spengler Cup teams are comprised of Canadian Players playing in Europe,Correct?

V

Perhaps the Spengler Cup team are now made of European based Canadians, but when the season long National Men's Team was still in operation it was part of their schedule to compete in the Spengler Cup.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/3/5/8/4/index1.shtml

Scroll down to see their schedule and results. The games at the end of Dec. in Davos, Switzerland are the Spengler Cup tournament.