Collecting Your Least Favorite Team

spudrock512

This is a random thought, but figured I would share it.  Like all collectors, you have your favorite team that you collect, but many of us also collect other teams as well, especially in styles that you liked.  I'm a Blackhawks Fan, and a lot of my collection is of Hawks jersey.  However, I also have been slowly acquiring other jerseys and would like to get a least one style of every team.  This leads me to the teams I hate, and a jersey that I recently purchased.  For me, this is the Nashville Predators. There is a part of me that feels I needed to get one of their jerseys, but at the same time, I hate that I have one of their jerseys...especially this year with the Hawks sucking and the Preds winning the President's trophy this year.

I thought it would be interesting to hear from others, what jersey(s) in their collection from a team that they hate. (I would think we would have a couple Devils/Rangers from this group).

9 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

(I would think we would have a couple Devils/Rangers from this group).

There's no way on God's green Earth I would ever own a Rangers jersey. There have been players that I have considered collecting one of each jersey from each team they played on, but since they went through MSG, I knew I could never do it. Probably saved myself a ton of money in the process. 

I often wonder how guys can collect jerseys of teams other than "their team". I have tried on a couple occasions, but always wind up feeling like a traitor, not wearing them, and selling them. I currently have a single NHL jersey other than "my team", a CCM Vintage Replica Whalers jersey. But its got a former Devil on it, so it gets a pass. 

I've toyed with the idea of collecting one from each team. Strangely though, it's not the rival teams that concern me (San Jose's have always been gorgeous, and LA's Forum Blue and 50th jerseys were great). It's teams that aren't the most visually appealing that turn me off of the idea. Don't think I could bring myself to buying an Isles or Flames jersey just as a few examples.

Edited by Kincaid521
Can't spell

I would never buy or wear Habs, Senaturds or Bruins. Not ever. 

Ive actually eliminated all teams from my collection except for Leafs and Team Canada. 

I’m building a collection of various Canucks jerseys, and there has been lots over the years,  and now I find myself looking for and getting jerseys of Canucks players from where hey played either college or junior hockey, so I’ve picked up a Boeser ND, a Horvat London, and now I’m looking for a Gaudette Northeastern, a Virtanen Hitmen, and Boston College Demko.

I have dipped my toes into the collecting other teams once by getting a Stastny Avalanche gamer but sold it after a few months.  Just isn't for me really.  I do get tempted at times with some nice styles out there, but collecting Devils and their affiliates is enough for me.

Would I try again?  Maybe, but no plans at this time.

Being a musician I'm naturally drawn to the Blues and Preds jerseys for certain aesthetics. 

Being a Hawks fan, I just can't do it and since I really don't consider myself a collector, I can't justify it.

if a favorite player on the Hawks left and went to one of those teams, maybe. I really liked Hartman, and luckily I can't afford game worn and the CAN authentics are not available.

I have no restrictions on which teams' jerseys I collect. My restrictions are only on what grade of jerseys I get. If I get a replica, it'll only be pre-lockout. Anything post-lockout has to be a MIC authentic. Now, when it comes to wearing them, there are certain jerseys that will never leave the closet...

For hated teams, I have a Penguins Lemieux and a Rangers (soon to be Messier). I had a Devils Brodeur that I sold recently. I have a few other teams’ jerseys too. I got them because of the players, not the team. 

Edited by jsh139

I unfortunately do have a few as well.

Sucks when you all time favourite goalie played for the re-Habs for a good chunk of his career.

I know a few Leafs collectors here will probably disown me but what can you do.

I go back and forth. I was down to only Isles (and related minor affiliates) and a Corey Perry (favorite current player). But since the Isles suck and I am content with where my Isles collection is, I began to add superstars to the collection, regardless of team (ideally players/jerseys I like). 

I started collecting each teams road jersey (when they wore home white) Now I have all home and road and I'm working on alternates. 
You don't really appreciate each jersey until you have it in hand

As a Hawks fan the Red Wings and Blues jerseys were a little tough to purchase but in hand you really appreciate the simplicity and contrast.
I still hate our rivals but appreciate the designs. 

I think by limiting yourself you are missing out.    

14 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I think by limiting yourself you are missing out.    

I guess it dep nds what you collect for. My jerseys are for me to wear and express my fandom. They are collectibles, but I’m not buying them as pure collectibles. If that makes any sense. 

25 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I started collecting each teams road jersey (when they wore home white) Now I have all home and road and I'm working on alternates. 
You don't really appreciate each jersey until you have it in hand

As a Hawks fan the Red Wings and Blues jerseys were a little tough to purchase but in hand you really appreciate the simplicity and contrast.
I still hate our rivals but appreciate the designs. 

I think by limiting yourself you are missing out.    

The BLUES third and Red Wings 2014 WC are two of my favorite recent non-Hawks designs. But I'd never wear them so...once I've got a couple guitars I have my eye on and feel funding my daughter's future is in a good place, it's hard to own a jersey of a team that makes me mad.

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If that makes any sense. 

None of collecting 400+ jerseys makes any sense, just ask my family and friends who don't collect. :D

One day I realize I'm going to have to move them or accept that they will be an awesome find at good will 

5 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

None of collecting 400+ jerseys makes any sense, just ask my family and friends who don't collect. :D

One day I realize I'm going to have to move them or accept that they will be an awesome find at good will 

Well yeah, that’s a good point. From a non collector’s standpoint, I basically have 15 of the same shirt. 

I'd find it tough to own a Leafs jersey, but I can admit they do have some aesthetically pleasing jersey lately.  Being a Stars fan liking my green jerseys, I could maybe/maybe go for a St. Pat's. Come to think of it, I did own the 2002 green St. Pat's Sundin.  I was happy to move it and have to say the roster of the Leafs currently is more likeable than in the 90s-00s so I could consider it. 

I own a Crimson Canucks Heritage Classic and I also can't stand the Canucks but love the color of the jersey and have respect for the Sedins so...

And I also have a Red Wings TBTC and was never fond of them, but who doesn't respect Nik Lidstrom/Steve Yzerman... and what brings me even greater joy in owning it is knowing the Wings always played poorly when they wore the TBTC that year.

So yeah I can collect other/disliked teams since my appreciation for certain players and designs overrides my dislike for their teams. I like to buy them in new/almost perfect condition and keep them only for displaying.  If I was wearing them, my approach to buying would likely be different.

Edited by JJM4

Great topic for a thread!  I collect for nostalgia and aesthetic reasons. Jerseys that look like the old days (or as close to it that satisfies me - I'm setting my own rules with this to make ME happy ?) or ones that look great to me are my focus (gotta have a Hawks, even if I'm indifferent to them), so that leads me to have a few from teams I hate. And some teams I f'n hate!!

I find a way to rationalize it - example is the Pens. I hate the Pens, but do have the white home CCM 550 Vintage from 1967 that just has the word PITTSBURGH diagonally on the front.  I think it's a beautiful old school design and can rationalize it by remembering that was from a season that they only drew like 5,000 at night for.  No stupid bird anywhere on the thing! Another is the Islanders, who I also hate, but a dear friend who passed away was a fan, and I honour him by having it and remember the fun we had with the rivalry (and aesthetically it is very a nice 2.0).

myself, I collect 'hawks jerseys and only 'hawks jerseys. personally, I'd rather punch myself in the face than own a wangs or blows jersey, let alone wear one. 

I can dig those who collect jerseys in general and want a variety. or those that collect the jerseys of certain types of players (goons, goalies, enforcers, etc).  just not my jam to spend my money on any other sweater besides the team I am rooting for. 

4 hours ago, vadarx said:

myself, I collect 'hawks jerseys and only 'hawks jerseys. personally, I'd rather punch myself in the face than own a wangs or blows jersey, let alone wear one. 

I can dig those who collect jerseys in general and want a variety. or those that collect the jerseys of certain types of players (goons, goalies, enforcers, etc).  just not my jam to spend my money on any other sweater besides the team I am rooting for. 

Ha, pretty much the same for me. But I also like to collect the minor league affiliate jerseys too, like Icehogs, Admirals, etc.