third jerseys are back

vadarx

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blue Jackets unveiled the Cannon 3rd at the start of the 2010-2011 season and the Pens Winter Classic style shown above was for the game on New Year's Day 2011, so they are both from the same season. Jackets 3rd was likely worn first, though I did not research the first date it was worn.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/BlueJackets/BlueJackets04.html

Personally I feel the Cannon 3rd is a significant improvement to the Jacket's standard home look and has a ton of character, especially with the felt crest. I liked the old typeface for the names and numbers because it was so distinctive, but I'll keep an open mind to seeing the home/away font on the new adidas version. 

6 minutes ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

The Blue Jackets unveiled the Cannon 3rd at the start of the 2010-2011 season and the Pens Winter Classic style shown above was for the game on New Year's Day 2011, so they are both from the same season. Jackets 3rd was likely worn first, though I did not research the first date it was worn.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/BlueJackets/BlueJackets04.html

Personally I feel the Cannon 3rd is a significant improvement to the Jacket's standard home look and has a ton of character, especially with the felt crest. I liked the old typeface for the names and numbers because it was so distinctive, but I'll keep an open mind to seeing the home/away font on the new adidas version. 

Of course, they are based on the Pens' jerseys from 1968-69...darker blue is used for the main color, but still. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Of course, they are based on the Pens' jerseys from 1968-69...darker blue is used for the main color, but still. 

Well, the Pens' 2008 Winter Classic was directly based on the 68-69 style (http://www.nhluniforms.com/Penguins/Penguins02.html) but their 2011 Winter Classic style really was one of the first "fauxback" styles that was somewhat based on vintage styles but was also somewhat new in its own right. The Calgary Heritage Classic one that was the burnt yellow and maroon was another fauxback example.

I would say the Pens' 2011 WC incorporated more design elements from their original 1967-68 uni (http://www.nhluniforms.com/Penguins/Penguins01.html) including direct lifts of the shell, number font and striping pattern. Just reversed the primary jersey color from the light blue to navy to differentiate from 2008 and use the felt circular crest instead of the diagonal letters. 

5 hours ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

Well, the Pens' 2008 Winter Classic was directly based on the 68-69 style (http://www.nhluniforms.com/Penguins/Penguins02.html) but their 2011 Winter Classic style really was one of the first "fauxback" styles that was somewhat based on vintage styles but was also somewhat new in its own right. The Calgary Heritage Classic one that was the burnt yellow and maroon was another fauxback example.

I would say the Pens' 2011 WC incorporated more design elements from their original 1967-68 uni (http://www.nhluniforms.com/Penguins/Penguins01.html) including direct lifts of the shell, number font and striping pattern. Just reversed the primary jersey color from the light blue to navy to differentiate from 2008 and use the felt circular crest instead of the diagonal letters. 

The navy color on the 2011 WC jersey is closest to their uniforms from 1977-1980, when navy blue became the primary jersey color. Was the team trying to copy this? I'm not sure.

Penguins09.png

27 minutes ago, Sluggermatt15 said:

The navy color on the 2011 WC jersey is closest to their uniforms from 1977-1980, when navy blue became the primary jersey color. Was the team trying to copy this? I'm not sure.

Penguins09.png

IDK, while the 77-80 design you show is indeed primarily navy blue, it really holds no other design element similarities to the 2011 WC. 

As mentioned, if you look carefully at the details, you can see the inspiration for the 2011 WC from the original 67-68 debut season style. Note the number font being virtually identical (just slightly modernized for the 2011 style), the pants being completely identical and the pin striping pattern at the bottom and sleeves also being an adapted carryover to the 2011 style. 

Getting back to the original point made, it's likely that Reebok's designers felt navy blue was a "hot" color for the 2010-2011 season and they used it for both the Columbus 3rd as well as the Pens 2011 Winter Classic since it was an element of each team's color palette history. 

Pens 1967-68.png

This is turning into a History lesson.  ?

4 hours ago, furiousd said:

The two shades of blue are what some Union soldiers wore in the US Civil War.  Dark blue coats, light blue pants.

oh yeah, right.... i believe there also was a bit of yellow/gold involved... oh man, they could have owned navy,light blue and yellow. No other team has that color combo, why the hell did they go with red,white and blue instead...?

12 minutes ago, tomtucker said:

why the hell did they go with red,white and blue instead...?

Just to rile you up more, don't forget their mascot progression.  The original mascot was... a yellowjacket wearing a blue jacket.  With a backwards cap!  Very "Poochie."

Clb_Alternate.png

But then they decided he needed to be green...

stinger.jpg

But then someone finally got creative and introduced this guy...

latest?cb=20160219202431

Of course, he didn't even last a season.

16 hours ago, furiousd said:

Just to rile you up more, don't forget their mascot progression.  The original mascot was... a yellowjacket wearing a blue jacket.  With a backwards cap!  Very "Poochie."

Clb_Alternate.png

But then they decided he needed to be green...

stinger.jpg

But then someone finally got creative and introduced this guy...

latest?cb=20160219202431

Of course, he didn't even last a season.

Thanks for the photos.

? those first 2 are ridiculous, the 3 one however is kinda funny. 

Guess they had to remove him when someone thought it looked like a  pen*s and got offended.......??

Edited by tomtucker

15 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Mascots don’t belong in hockey rinks. The Flyers are now talking about bringing one on. Smh. 

come on man, flyer fans need all the cheering up in the world ?

Maybe they will dress a dude up in a Crosby jersey, and have him partake in various dangerous  on ice stunts ?

Edited by tomtucker

20 minutes ago, tomtucker said:

come on man, flyer fans need all the cheering up in the world ?

Maybe they will dress a dude up in a Crosby jersey, and have him partake in various dangerous  on ice stunts ?

They can cheer me up by winning games.  And lowering ticket prices ?

2 hours ago, tomtucker said:

Thanks for the photos.

? those first 2 are ridiculous, the 3 one however is kinda funny. 

Guess they had to remove him when someone thought it looked like a  pen*s and got offended.......??

He also shot white t shirts out of the top of his head.  Greatest mascot ever.

Who knows what went thru their heads when they designed Stinger, but the kids love him as does my daughter, so he has his place at the rink and community events.   

3 hours ago, bluejacket said:

That might be the coolest thing I have ever heard. 

4 hours ago, bluejacket said:

Who knows what went thru their heads when they designed Stinger, but the kids love him as does my daughter, so he has his place at the rink and community events.   

wow, awesome...... so he is still around? .... oh right you mean stinger.....

Boomer the Cannon was great, i was only joking when i said why some may not like him, turns out it was true! ridiculous

http://sportsmascots.wikia.com/wiki/Boomer_the_Cannon_(Columbus_Blue_Jackets) 

RIP big guy ?

Edited by tomtucker

The Flames do the right thing and bring back the classic vintage 80s/early 90s look for their 3rd:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-announce-2018-19-third-jersey/c-300298876

Edited by SnakeOiler12