Meigray Expo 2018

Devilsguy

I think the last flash sale was either 2 or 3 years ago.  The summer sale will most likely be the same as last year's terms, but you never know for sure.

Yeah I don't think I will partake in the grab bag.  If I do, it will be a last minute decision but for now I am out.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Nico Hischier Jersey is an awesome #1 for us Devils guys. But I’d wind up with a Peter Harold or something like that. 

I’m not a gambler, I’ll pass. 

The Nico is a nice prize (set 2B), but yeah with my luck I would end up with a Josefson.  The Giroux, Bob, Carlson and Spezza are nice jerseys too, but outside of those not much there for me.

Guest Dr_Puck
15 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

I remember the horror on some people's faces too well with that blind set up once they opened the box. 

Guilty. I tried to force a smile when I opened my no-name Flames player but when people were fist-bumping over Spezza and Hall jerseys, I wanted to cry. Yet for some strange reason ... I want to do it this year. 

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I think the last flash sale was either 2 or 3 years ago.  The summer sale will most likely be the same as last year's terms, but you never know for sure.

2 or 3 years ago they had a 50% discount on GI's, hoping that they will brintlg back that one again.

And they had a why wait till Black Friday or 4th July (don't remember exactly which one) flash sale last year, right? Luckily with the most boring names in stock :D

55 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

It could have been worse lol. The first year, the grab bag was $85 and had practice jerseys/blank Reebok jerseys in it as the "losers" and Brodeur was the prize with 4 second prizes for a 105 jersey grab bag. There was one attendee who bought two grab bags and got two Thrashers practice jerseys. Never forgot the face although for $85 and a shot at Brodeur it was worth the gamble (the Brodeur was a nice one, too). Then another year, i think it was 2015, Ovechkin was the grand prize. The "loser" jerseys were pre-season and training camp and i heard a story about a guy pulling a training camp of a Caps player that was #88 or 98 or something and fixated in a trance just seeing an 8 before it hit him it wasn't Ovi haha 

I would do it for $85 or $105. $295 is outside my tolerance for taking a chance. 

All of which, that's what she said. 

Yeah $295 is a bit steep for me in a selection where I truly only care about 1 jersey and about 5 others I can live with.  That's about 88% chance I will not be happy with what I get.

I remember back in 2012 they did a Devils themed grab bag.  I think they had about 100-ish bags at about $125-150 a pull.  IIRC the big prize was a Parise game worn (might have been a SCF one but I could be wrong) and a few 2nd place prizes.  The rest were all Devils authentics.  I pulled a red ultrafil CCM Devils jersey that I later sold.  I think I remember getting most of my money back.

33 minutes ago, amonte78 said:

2 or 3 years ago they had a 50% discount on GI's, hoping that they will brintlg back that one again.

And they had a why wait till Black Friday or 4th July (don't remember exactly which one) flash sale last year, right? Luckily with the most boring names in stock :D

You know what, I think you are right an that does sound familiar.  I think I also remember that last one was kind of barren in terms of choices for Devils.

Last flash sale I did was the one 2-3 years ago where it was right around 4th of July.  I got a Devils red Zidlicky from 11-12 season for like $149.  I pick it up and it had just about zero wear on it and figures because of the price.  I did end up selling that a few months later for about $250-ish, so I still made out well lol.

The grab bags are a fun gamble. But $300 is steep for this one though.  I saw people on Facebook were saying how the price raise from last year is "justifiable" because this one is "better." *facepalm* (Note: I am all for MeiGray charging more, but this is not objectively better than last year's). I personally think top 5-7 last year was very impressive and this year is very underwhelming, as the posts above indicate.  At $300, you're probably just better off buying a jersey you want and spending a little more.   You can get a good name for $300. 

Also, most of the top-10 prizes are not worn for the full set. 

Guest Dr_Puck

With the number of $99 jerseys they have been selling on Ebay, I'd be stunned if they did another flash sale. It's too bad because I would be inclined to jump on some NHLers at that price. I was in the process of moving during the last flash sale and had absolutely no available funds. Hoping it comes around again! 

I did two grab bags, back in 2010.  Just for old time's sake, I searched my email for the prices. 

$99 grab bag - Modano grand prize.  $119 shipped.  I got a preseason Bruins.

Expo grab bag - Stamkos grand prize - $71 shipped.  I got a 6100 blank Panthers.

Fool me twice, shame on me...

58 minutes ago, NYIJM29 said:

The grab bags are a fun gamble. But $300 is steep for this one though.  I saw people on Facebook were saying how the price raise from last year is "justifiable" because this one is "better." *facepalm* (Note: I am all for MeiGray charging more, but this is not objectively better than last year's). I personally think top 5-7 last year was very impressive and this year is very underwhelming, as the posts above indicate.  At $300, you're probably just better off buying a jersey you want and spending a little more.   You can get a good name for $300. 

Also, most of the top-10 prizes are not worn for the full set. 

I remember last year's Kopitar was worn in 1 game.  I think the Holtby might have been too, but don't quote me on that.

The only reason right now that I am at least intrigued is the Hischier.  If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even think about it.

6 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I did two grab bags, back in 2010.  Just for old time's sake, I searched my email for the prices. 

Expo grab bag - Stamkos grand prize - $71 shipped.  I got a 6100 blank Panthers.

Ouch indeed.  At least the 2nd grab bag was fairly close to actual retail price (how many read those last 3 words in Bob Barker's voice?)

I do like the idea that you can trade up or down like the draft. So, if I win the lottery and get #1, who'll give me the #5 overall plus $1000?

:)

7 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Ouch indeed.  At least the 2nd grab bag was fairly close to actual retail price (how many read those last 3 words in Bob Barker's voice?)

There's no other way to read that. 

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

Funny, I did the $100 grab bag once and got a size 58 6100 Panthers. Said I'd never do a grab bag again.

5 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I remember last year's Kopitar was worn in 1 game.  I think the Holtby might have been too, but don't quote me on that.

The only reason right now that I am at least intrigued is the Hischier.  If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even think about it.

Oh for sure! Definitely worth the gamble if you want one of the top prizes.  I would be doing it just to spend money. 

On 14/06/2018 at 10:27 AM, amonte78 said:

I'm new, so can someone clarify if a flash sale is usually the same as the Why Wait Til Black Friday sale?  I did see that one last November where there were mostly preseason jerseys with names I've never heard of, for $99, IIRC. They also seem to have 20% - 40% sales on some of the game issued, but those discounts seem to come and go almost randomly. Is there actually a pattern to when they offer those discounts?

I'm new, so can someone clarify if a flash sale is usually the same as the Why Wait Til Black Friday sale?  I did see that one last November where there were mostly preseason jerseys with names I've never heard of, for $99, IIRC. They also seem to have 20% - 40% sales on some of the game issued, but those discounts seem to come and go almost randomly. Is there actually a pattern to when they offer those discounts?

Typically, Meigray holds 2 sales a year; the summer sale which starts immediately after their expo until approximately labor day and the Holiday sale which starts around Black Friday and ends in December.  For many years the summer sale had better discounts but lately it looks like the discounts are pretty close to each other.

The Why Wait sale was a flash sale.  Meigray also had a flash sale about 2-3 years ago around July 4th where they discounted about 200-300 game worn jerseys on their website down to $99, $129 and $149 each of different players from different teams.  Catch is you had to find them and buy them in a sort of scavenger hunt.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I might actually be able to make it (depending on the sale terms). But, I will be going later in the day just to get the goodie bag and go to the warehouse sale.  Does anyone know what time the speaker usually goes on? I forget if it was before or after the grab bag. I know MeiGray will probably post the sale / list of activities at some point this week.

1 hour ago, NYIJM29 said:

I think I might actually be able to make it (depending on the sale terms). But, I will be going later in the day just to get the goodie bag and go to the warehouse sale.  Does anyone know what time the speaker usually goes on? I forget if it was before or after the grab bag. I know MeiGray will probably post the sale / list of activities at some point this week.

Typically the speaker is at noon and the grab bag is right after (about 1).

6 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Typically the speaker is at noon and the grab bag is right after (about 1).

Thank you! I guess I am missing Rupp, but I will survive.