Meigray Expo 2018

Devilsguy

5 hours ago, NYIJM29 said:

I don't think you need to "pay" to attend the Expo or Warehouse sale.  It is just if you want the "free" jersey & coupon (which will probably have a lot of fine print this year) you pay $40.   For $40, the blank is totally worth it, even if you are not a fan of the team.  That being said, if anyone gets a 2.0 or two in the Isles "water wing" jersey in any size smaller than a 58+, find me and let's trade! 

Technically you do need to pay to attend the expo. Otherwise it is akin to sneaking into a movie theater. 

What is the water wing jersey? The orange one?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, lhg39 said:

Technically you do need to pay to attend the expo. Otherwise it is akin to sneaking into a movie theater. 

What is the water wing jersey? The orange one?

I mean they do "check you in" at the door at the college, but you can go later in the day and say "you already got me."  At the warehouse, you can wait in line and they wont check to make sure you paid the $40, no?  

It is the 07-10 jerseys with the orange sleeves.  The original Edge era jerseys.

9 hours ago, NYIJM29 said:

I mean they do "check you in" at the door at the college, but you can go later in the day and say "you already got me."  At the warehouse, you can wait in line and they wont check to make sure you paid the $40, no?  

It is the 07-10 jerseys with the orange sleeves.  The original Edge era jerseys.

At the warehouse they do not care. At the expo, I suppose you can do that, but it not that they don’t care; they are just fairly trusting.

No I just mean anything that’s going on.

Anyone pull any Devils 58+ as their free jersey? If so, I’m waiting to hear from you. 

I'll have a more detailed write up on Monday, but here are some quick hits from me:

1) most free jerseys given away were caps.  Like overwhelmingly caps.  Very few other teams.  Others I saw were Devils, Colorado, Bruins and Dallas.  Didn't see any other team.

2) I brought less stuff and glad I did.

3) against by better judgement I got a grab bag at the expo.  I got #13 so I went with BPA which I felt was the Soderberg Bruins with the 90th patch.  Yes it's available.

4) big turnout which was awesome.  Always great to see familiar faces.  My table was between brilliant and Hollywood.

5) Rupp was a good speaker.  Def entertaining when I was listening while looking through the grab bag list lol.

47 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

1) most free jerseys given away were caps.  Like overwhelmingly caps.  Very few other teams.  Others I saw were Devils, Colorado, Bruins and Dallas.  Didn't see any other team.

So they emphasize No Caps Jerseys on Sale before the event, then give away a bunch of Caps blanks?  Which ones were they, the recent home/ away or the 3rds?  I thought they had the red 3rds on eBay for $249 last I looked.

1 hour ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

Assuming the Caps (and all giveaway jerseys) were Reebok 2.0s? 

Were the sizes reasonable or were they the small tent variety? 

They were 2.0s wordmark and mostly 56s. I ended up with a red and a white after trading with Brilliant.

Great seeing Kurt, Mike, and Louis in person and whoever else I may have met -- I am unsure whether or not you are on here.

Got some good jerseys, but the highlight of the day is, and will always be, going to the Cracker Barrel after (about a 20 minute drive west). 

11 hours ago, Brilliant! said:

There were some whites in there too. I had traded my Stars one for a white which I then swapped for a red.

We're any of the Caps they gave away the white or red 3rds? We're they giving away any of the newer green Stars or were they the old white or black ones that said DALLAS on the front?

9 hours ago, NYIJM29 said:

Got some good jerseys, but the highlight of the day is, and will always be, going to the Cracker Barrel after (about a 20 minute drive west). 

Cracker Barrel is awesome. 

3 hours ago, LondonGardens said:

We're any of the Caps they gave away the white or red 3rds? We're they giving away any of the newer green Stars or were they the old white or black ones that said DALLAS on the front?

No Caps alts and only old style Stars. 

So after a busy weekend here is my expo summary that I promised.

Last year I took nearly 50 jerseys with me and that was just way too much.  This year I brought about 12-15 less and it largely paid off (more on that later).  Based on how my table was last year, I actually mapped out exactly how my table would look and what jerseys would go where on an excel spreadsheet.  It made packing a whole lot easier as I put everything I was going to put on the table in one large bag and the 5-8 jerseys I would keep in the bag to show individual collectors under the table.  I even packed the rows of jerseys I planned together so it made setup much quicker than I did last year.

I got there at around 7:45-7:50 and finished setting up around 8:30ish.  According to Stu from Meigray there were 3 more collector tables than last year.  There were 2 sections with 9 tables each.  In between the two sections was the swap table.  Each section contained 3 rows of 3 tables each.  I was in the section closer to the main door and I was in the middle row with the middle table right between Brilliant! And Hollywood Canon.  For the free jerseys I got a red caps 56 and a white Stars (the old college-looking style jersey) in 56.

The expo was really busy last year and had a nice variety to it.  Three tables including mine focused on NJ Devils and 1 table focused on Albany River Rats, so the team was well represented.  Meigray brought their usual display along with a nice display of vintage and current Capitals.  The expo in general had very much a Capitals flavor due to them being a Meigray team along with winning their first ever cup.  From what it appeared, a vast majority of the free jerseys given out were indeed caps jerseys.

This year was also the first year my older brother, his son and my brother’s best friend actually came to the show.  His son (my nephew) has shown recent interest in hockey jerseys so I recommended it to them and the allure of a free jersey was the thing that sealed the deal for them lol.  They came in around 11 and we went around together to look at everything.  They actually told me later that they enjoyed it more than they thought they would and loved seeing the history in the room and really dug the HHOF display as well as Joric’s vintage jersey table.  They left right before Mike Rupp spoke but my brother texted me later saying my nephew is already asking him to go to next year’s expo and that he loves his free jerseys (they got a Caps and through some trades got a white Bruins).

Mike Rupp was a very interesting speaker.  He had some great stories to tell that were all pretty interesting.  He was asked about the opening faceoff fight when he was on the Rangers at MSG against the Devils from 3/19/12.  He told what happened leading up to it but I couldn’t help to think that I should have brought my Ryan Carter jersey from that fight.  Oh well lol.

Against my better judgement I got one of the grab bag spots at the expo.  I got it when the top 3 were still available with about half of the spots claimed.  Myself and Devils fan I am friendly with went to the front at the same time to pay for the grab bag.  We both pulled the spot cards at the same time and he got #1 pick while I got #13.  He was extremely happy about it and I was very happy for him.  It was his first ever expo and I think he will now come to these every year haha.  I went BPA when it came to my turn and got Bruins 90th patched Soderberg.

I did eventually go to the warehouse but for the first time ever I purchased nothing.  I got a Will Butcher white set 2 gamer earlier in the week with one of last year’s 20% off coupons so that was pretty much my personal warehouse sale lol.

Overall it was another awesome experience.  It was really fun to see everyone and this year it went even quicker than last year.  I already look forward to next year and I apologize for the really wordy summary.  I will eventually remember other things down the road and follow up lol.

Here is my table:

Edited by Devilsguy

Appreciate the insight from both of you. Sounds like I missed another good Expo. 

Please tell me the guy who pulled the #1 card took the Hischier jersey, because if he took Giroux I have to question how much of a Devils fan he is...

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Appreciate the insight from both of you. Sounds like I missed another good Expo. 

Please tell me the guy who pulled the #1 card took the Hischier jersey, because if he took Giroux I have to question how much of a Devils fan he is...

lol he took Hischier

9 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

lol he took Hischier

Good man.

And good on you for not being jealous as he picked the #1 card as you stood there. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Good man.

And good on you for not being jealous as he picked the #1 card as you stood there. 

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit jealous, but I'm glad it not only went to a devils fan but a really good guy to boot.