Meigray Expo 2018

Devilsguy

11 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit jealous, but I'm glad it not only went to a devils fan but a really good guy to boot.

Well in any event, that's better than how I would have reacted lol. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well in any event, that's better than how I would have reacted lol. 

Can you imagine how I felt a few minutes before when I bought my pick because the odds were good and pulled #49?!0

Just now, lhg39 said:

Can you imagine how I felt a few minutes before when I bought my pick because the odds were good and pulled #49?!0

I imagine you felt like you wasted your money lol. 

4 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

Exactly!

That is unfortunate. I guess you have to be in it to win it, though. 

5 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Last year I took nearly 50 jerseys with me and that was just way too much.  This year I brought about 12-15 less and it largely paid off (more on that later).  Based on how my table was last year, I actually mapped out exactly how my table would look and what jerseys would go where on an excel spreadsheet.  It made packing a whole lot easier as I put everything I was going to put on the table in one large bag and the 5-8 jerseys I would keep in the bag to show individual collectors under the table.  I even packed the rows of jerseys I planned together so it made setup much quicker than I did last year.

Here is my table:

IMG_3910.JPG

Appreciate the write-up, its fun to see other people's takes. Never been able to make the timing work, and is one of the few that I haven't hit yet.

One comment/thought on the table display, it looks nice, but I'm a much bigger fan of the rack approach. Maybe the Meigray Expo is more "random" than some of the other expos that I've been to, but the folded jersey table always gave me the opinion that the exhibitor does not want anyone touching their items (due to the hassle of refolding). Putting jerseys on a clothing rack (while potentially more cumbersome), allows people to look with much more detail and enjoyment.

From my personal experiences, collectors will physically handle jerseys on a rack, while just passing over jerseys laying on a table. Just my 2 cents, just sharing my opinions/experiences from the various expos.

4 minutes ago, cjerina said:

From my personal experiences, collectors will physically handle jerseys on a rack, while just passing over jerseys laying on a table. Just my 2 cents, just sharing my opinions/experiences from the various expos.

Do you necessarily want a bunch of random people physically handling your valuable jerseys? 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Do you necessarily want a bunch of random people physically handling your valuable jerseys? 

Honestly, I don't mind. If its something worth under $1k, I'll put it out on a rack. As I mentioned, maybe its just the difference of the Meigray Expo, but most if not all other people at other Expos are collectors who know how to handle these things.

And really, what is likely to happen? If there's loose threads, a glued letter or other things that could be damaged, obviously it wouldn't be put out but otherwise, consider what these jerseys go through in a given year.

2 minutes ago, cjerina said:

Honestly, I don't mind. If its something worth under $1k, I'll put it out on a rack. As I mentioned, maybe its just the difference of the Meigray Expo, but most if not all other people at other Expos are collectors who know how to handle these things.

And really, what is likely to happen? If there's loose threads, a glued letter or other things that could be damaged, obviously it wouldn't be put out but otherwise, consider what these jerseys go through in a given year.

I don't disagree, I mean to me the whole thing is a lot more interesting if you can check them out up close. But the folded jerseys make for a nice looking table. 

Thanks for the kind words! I totally understand the rack approach versus the folded jerseys on the table approach. There are pros and cons to both. The cons of the rack approach are 1) you need an end table for it to work well (and those are often in high demand) and 2) They are just large and big to carry around/bring in. I have noticed the folded approach does sort of send a signal out to some people that I don't want anyone to touch my jerseys. I tell people all the time who approach my jerseys to feel free to pull any out and look at them. Funny this topic was brought up as when I was setting up I was telling Brilliant that I was thinking sometime in the future I would go the rack approach. There are also certain things I think I want to change for my table next year. I thought about putting signs up but decided against it only to regret it once I got to the show. I was also thinking about bringing even less next year and really have about a dozen jerseys that I can focus on if I do not go the rack approach. Also sorry for this formatting of this post but since my work now semi-blocks this site this is what I have to work with lol.

Edited by Devilsguy

18 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

The cons of the rack approach are 1) you need an end table for it to work well (and those are often in high demand) and 2) They are just large and big to carry around/bring in. I have noticed the folded approach does sort of send a signal out to some people that I don't want anyone to touch my jerseys. I tell people all the time who approach my jerseys to feel free to pull any out and look at them. Funny this topic was brought up as when I was setting up I was telling Brilliant that I was thinking sometime in the future I would go the rack approach. There are also certain things I think I want to change for my table next year. I thought about putting signs up but decided against it only to regret it once I got to the show. I was also thinking about bringing even less next year and really have about a dozen jerseys that I can focus on if I do not go the rack approach.

Thanks for the excellent reply, you definitely shared some info that I would not be aware of. Most of the expos that I've been to typically have more space than necessary, which usually allows for the use of racks in addition to tables. I think at the last Toledo expo, I had 4 jerseys laid out on a table and ~20 on a rack... 2 people looked at the jerseys on the table, and probably 20 rummaged through the racks.

My lack of folding skills really deter me from looking at folded shirts as well :D:D

Also, you are completely correct that racks can be a total pain to install and fit into a vehicle that already has tubs of jerseys!

18 minutes ago, cjerina said:

I think at the last Toledo expo, I had 4 jerseys laid out on a table and ~20 on a rack... 2 people looked at the jerseys on the table, and probably 20 rummaged through the racks.

My lack of folding skills really deter me from looking at folded shirts as well :D:D

I have to say I would totally not pick up any of the folded jerseys for that exact reason. I feel bad in a store when I do it to one of their displays, and they're getting paid to re-fold...

Guest Dr_Puck

At the Minnesota expo last fall I enjoyed seeing the jerseys hung up in the racks. It's easier to sort through and get a sense of the range of players/teams. There was one guy with a beautiful old-school ECHL collection that he had hung up. The issue for that event was the venue, just too small. Meigray at least has space. 

13 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

At the Minnesota expo last fall I enjoyed seeing the jerseys hung up in the racks. It's easier to sort through and get a sense of the range of players/teams. There was one guy with a beautiful old-school ECHL collection that he had hung up. The issue for that event was the venue, just too small. Meigray at least has space. 

That's the one that's done at a bar right?

Thats what the Meigray expo desperately needs; a bar.

Guest Dr_Puck
Just now, Devilsguy said:

That's the one that's done at a bar right?

Thats what the Meigray expo desperately needs; a bar.

It is the one at the bar, and the drinking really was fun on a Sunday afternoon. The problem is that they serve food at the bar and my jerseys ended up smelling like french fries afterward. I was more than a little worried about the smell lingering-- and oil stains from the tables. I had my collection laid out on a table, kept checking for grease marks. Thankfully, no harm. 

First Chris goes on and on about bringing buffalo wings into the expo...now he wants a bar. Get my stuff away from this guy next year!!

1 hour ago, Brilliant! said:

First Chris goes on and on about bringing buffalo wings into the expo...now he wants a bar. Get my stuff away from this guy next year!!

Menu for next year: Wings, nachos, sloppy Joe's, chili, and beer.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

Menu for next year: Wings, nachos, sloppy Joe's, chili, and beer.

Don’t forget French fries for Dr. Puck.

I ended up pulling an audible at the last minute and brought all my worn soccer stuff with me. I didn't display them on the table but I had them all hanging on my rack for the duration. I was amazed at how many compliments I got about them all. I had some great of conversations with folks about their own soccer stories and about the history of what I/they had and also ran into a few Red Bulls season ticket holders. Stu even told me that they were the surprise hit of the expo. I guess they have to be a fixture for the future now.

1 hour ago, Brilliant! said:

I ended up pulling an audible at the last minute and brought all my worn soccer stuff with me. I didn't display them on the table but I had them all hanging on my rack for the duration. I was amazed at how many compliments I got about them all. I had some great of conversations with folks about their own soccer stories and about the history of what I/they had and also ran into a few Red Bulls season ticket holders. Stu even told me that they were the surprise hit of the expo. I guess they have to be a fixture for the future now.

Where do you get GW MLS stuff? I'd love to pick up a Fire jersey.

• 3 months later...

Meigray just announced that their 2019 expo is scheduled for July 13th at RVCC again.