All you need to know about Authentic vs. Replica.

BlueShirtOn34thStreet

Authentics

Authentic jerseys are the nicest jerseys you can buy. Authentics are typically described as "The exact jersey the players wear on the ice." They usually (but not always) include a fight strap sewn in the back, an NHL shield sewn on the back hem, and, in most of the newer jerseys, a Center Ice label inside the neck.

When I say 'usually,' there are exceptions to everything. Authentic Starter Alternates do not have a fight strap. Some Authentics have a different NHL logo on the hem, and some don't even have the NHL shield at all. While these are features I look for in Authentics, I won't NOT buy a jersey if they don't have them, but I'll do some serious investigating to find out if this is really an Authentic, or if someone is trying to pass off a Semi-Pro jersey as an Authentic.

While these features are dead give-aways to the jersey being an authentic, there are other features that are harder to describe or discern from a description, and it's THESE features that make the Authentics worth the price.

Some teams use a completely different material for their Authentic jerseys. The Colorado Avalanche, New York Rangers, and Houston Aeros use a very heavy mesh on their authentics. This mesh is more, well, silky is the best word I can think of. The mesh has little holes through it (a close up picture is coming, I just haven't had time to get it in here yet). This material will NOT run when it gets snagged, and is very snag resistant. This is by far my favorite material. If you're looking for a jersey from this team, I DEFINITELY recommend getting an Authentic for this feature alone. You can tell from a distance it is a much nicer jersey, and, as crazy as this sounds, it feels so good to wear. I know, you're thinking "This fruit is saying that it actually feels good to wear a hockey jersey," but it's true.

Another big feature is that on several of the teams, especially the ones with a more intricate logo, the detail on the logo is MUCH nicer. The best example of this is the Chicago Black Hawks jerseys. The Semi-Pro logo is fine, and if you haven't seen an Authentic, you'll be very happy with it. But when you set the two logos side by side (another picture yet to come), you can see that the Authentic logo is MUCH nicer. They use braided cord instead of the typically thread to embroider the logo, both the large Indian Head and the shoulder logos. I was surprised as to how nice they are.

Game Worn and Team Issued

It is important to note that 'Authentic' does not mean 'Game Worn' or even 'Team Issued.' Game Worn jerseys are Authentic jerseys, but they were worn by the player who's name/number appears on the jersey in an actual game. Team Issued means it was an Authentic bought by the team with intent for the player to wear it, but it was NOT actually worn in a game. When purchased directly from the team, they are usually accompanied by a letter from the team saying so. When bought from a reseller or private individual, you might get the letter issued from the team, or you might get a Certificate of Authenticity from the person selling you the jersey. There are many on-line forums (http://www.gamewornjerseys.com is one) that can provide in depth guidance on buying Game Worn jerseys.

Semi-Pro and Replica

It is hard for a seller to call this group of jerseys non-Authentic, because it makes it sound like they are not licensed by the NHL or applicable minor league, or it is a knock-off from over seas. This is NOT the case, however, and many of the Semi-Pro jerseys are just as nice as the Authentics. It just means these jerseys are not in the class of jersey classified as 'Authentic.'

To add to the confusion, the community has allowed the word 'Replica' come to mean any jersey that is not an 'Authentic'. The fact is there are basically two levels of quality below the 'Authentic' jerseys: 'Semi-Pro' and 'Replica.' Semi-Pro jerseys are much nicer than Replica jerseys.

Semi-Pro jerseys are frequently described as "the same jersey the players wear on the ice, less the fight strap." While there ARE some very nice Semi-Pro jerseys out there, this is somewhat of an exaggeration. Read the above section on Authentics, and you'll see that there are numerous features that set aside the Authentics from the Semi-Pros.

So, what IS a Semi-Pro jersey, then? It is made of a similar (in some cases, the same) material that the Authentics use. It is a very decent weight of material, and can definitely be used to play ice hockey by a recreational player. The elbows are usually double stitched (an extra layer of material on the elbow). All of the logos are on the jersey, including the logos on the shoulders. Instead of the NHL logo on the lower right back hem, there is usually a 2" Western or Eastern Conference logo or team logo. The brand logo on the lower back right hem is usually sewn on, but it is occasionally screened on. The size on the collar tag is USUALLY in alpha code, like L, XL, M, etc. instead of a numeric size, like 48, 52, 56. (For whatever reason, 95% of the Nike Semi-Pros use the numeric sizing.) And, of course, the fight strap is not installed.

So, how does a Replica (like a CCM 3100) differ from a Semi-Pro? The biggest difference is the material is very light. It's a great material to use for inline hockey, because it is much cooler to play in outside than a heavy Semi-Pro. Another big difference is they frequently do not have the shoulder logos on them. The brand logo on the lower back right hem is screened on, and there rarely is a Conference logo there.

The reason go buy a Replica is the price. They are much less expensive, and if you're looking to buy a jersey to wear to the arena every once in a while instead of a jersey to live in (hockey jerseys are all I wear around the house!), then a Replica is the way to go. Also, they are perfect for inline hockey.

Practice Jerseys

Believe it or not, there are varying degrees of practice jerseys. An 'Authentic' practice jersey is made of very heavy weight material and has a fight strap. It usually is a solid color jersey, and the chest logo is a 'Center Ice' logo with a version of the team's logo in the middle. This logo is thermally applied, but don't confuse this with 'ironed on.' This logo is a very high quality logo on very thick material, and it has then been affixed to the jersey. The logo will probably out last the jersey! You don't see too many of these for sale.

The next level is the Replica Practice jersey. These are usually solid in color, but have the team logo ironed on the front and the player name and number ironed on the back. There's also a version that has the team's name screened on the front and in the middle of the name is the NHL shield. These jerseys are fine and if you're looking for a light weight jersey that doesn't have the items sewn on, you can get these jerseys cheap.

There's one more 'kind' of practice jersey out there, and it really isn't a practice jersey at all. These jerseys are the same color as the regular team game jerseys, and the material is the same as the Replica jerseys. The difference is that the logo is either screened or ironed on instead of being sewn on. These are usually nice looking (a picture of one on line can be pretty deceiving. They look that nice, so be sure you know (or ask) if everything is sewn on!). Again, if you're looking for a light weight jersey at a very low price, they might fit your bill.

We should probably stick this up top. I think it would help a ton of people out.

We should probably stick this up top. I think it would help a ton of people out.

This would be a good idea BlueShirt, but unfortunately this explanation is somewhat outdated and also somewhat inaccurate. We can put up the description of the new Edge Authentic vs. Premier Replica if it would be of help. Otherwise, if someone wants to provide a more updated version then feel free.

lets examine the 2 descriptions via IJ Page:

This is for the NEW RBK EDGE JERSEYS ONLY

authentic:

2007 Rbk EDGE Authentic NHL Hockey Jersey

NEW for the 2007-08 season, the EDGE Authentic Jersey is the actual jersey worn on-ice by all NHL players. This technical jersey features a four-way stretch core body material with BeadAway™, a water repellent treatment. Four-way Stretch Mesh provides a balance of ventilation and range of motion in the underarm and back regions (where applicable). Highly durable BeadAway™ treated X-trafil fabric provides additional reinforcement in shoulder and elbow areas. Neck collar features PlayDry performance Lycratalic (with polyester ribknit when applicable). Team front and shoulder crests (where aplicable) feature a combination of direct stitched embroidery and twill applique. All crests are directly sewn to the jersey. An authentic tie down fight strap is attached inside the lower back of the jersey. The Reebok vector logo is embroidered on the back of the neck and sleeve and the NHL shield patch is sewn on the bottom of the front collar fabric insert. Includes Rbk/NHL Center Ice Authentic Woven neck label and Rbk/NHL Center Ice jock tag with numberic sizing is applied to the lower left of the bottom of the jersey.

Key Features:

- 250g/m2 double knit polyester/spandex four-way stretch pique core body

- 250g/m2 double knit polyester/spandex four-way stretch mesh

- 237g/m2 double knit polyester four-way stretch X-trafil shoulders and elbows

- 325g/m2 Lycratalic double knit/spandex four-way stretch neck collar

Replica:

2007 Rbk Premier Replica NHL Hockey Jersey

NEW for the 2007-08 season, the Premier Replica Jersey is engineered and constructed to duplicate the look of on-ice team designs. Front body consists of a comfortable polyester two-way stretch pique. Solid mesh inserts provide ventilation in underarm and back regions (where applicable). Performance polyester engineered interlock or striped knit collar, with NHL shield logo patch sewn to bottom of front collar fabric insert. Front chest crest features a combination of direct stitched embroidery and twill applique. Shoulder crests (where applicable) feature single layer screen printed tackle twill sewn directly to the jersey.

Additional Features:

- 175g/m2 polyester pique two-way stretch core body

- Polyester interlock detailed trim

- Reebok vector logo embroidered patch on back neck & left sleeve

- Rbk/NHL Official Licensed neck label

- Rbk/NHL jock tag with alpha sizing sewn to bottom left front of jersey

http://shop.nhl.com/include/jerseyguide.jsp

This is a guide that the NHL is showing on shop.nhl.com that tells the differences between the jersey types.

http://shop.nhl.com/include/jerseyguide.jsp

This is a guide that the NHL is showing on shop.nhl.com that tells the differences between the jersey types.

My God, there are so many mistakes in that guide it borders on fraud.

My God, there are so many mistakes in that guide it borders on fraud.

I didn't really take the time to look at it, guess I should have.

My favorite part is the part about authentics where they say there's a "sizing jock tag" or something like that on the bottom front of the authentics. Because, even if you knew nothing about jerseys, all you need to do is look at a picture of an authentic next to a replica to see there's nothing sewn there.

A question while I'm at it though. I've felt the material of an edge replica, but not an authentic. What's the "weight" or "feel" difference of the two? I know one is supposed to be more "g" than the other (grams? gumballs?). ? Will it feel heavier like last seasons authentics? Or just as light as the current edge replicas?

The material on the EDGE authentics is a tighter knit than the replicas. I can actually tell by looking at the two but that might be because they're both All-Star jerseys. It doesn't feel much heavier like the difference between the 6100 authentics and replicas...that was significant enough to feel by holding.

Good to know, thanks for the insight.

If all goes according to plan, my customized edge authentic should ship from ij.com in the next few days, I ordered it back on the 26th of September, so it's got an expected ship date on or before the 26th of this month.

I can't wait! From the looks of the ij.com jersey pages, it seems the edge authentics are selling well, so there must be a line for customization. I'm excited though, impatient!