First Time CSL customization

Finally sending in a couple jerseys to CSL for customization.

ive heard you need to be really specific, so aside from a photo, what elements need to be requested for on ice specs? Layered numbers? I have edge nameplates in case they don't, so I'm good there. One of you Hawks fans posted your last request to them but I can't find it.

thanks in advance.

If you want to conserve your plate stock, you could call them first to confirm which colors (if any) they still have Edge plates for.  If they have them, and you ask for them, they'll charge an extra ten bucks per jersey. 

Otherwise, in the past I just asked for layered numbers to on-ice specs.  The only time I included a picture was for the retro third, to show the number placement wrt the body stripes.  All of the CSL jobs I've ordered (or purchased secondary) were well done.

Are you including patches for them to sew?

23 minutes ago, furiousd said:

If you want to conserve your plate stock, you could call them first to confirm which colors (if any) they still have Edge plates for.  If they have them, and you ask for them, they'll charge an extra ten bucks per jersey. 

Otherwise, in the past I just asked for layered numbers to on-ice specs.  The only time I included a picture was for the retro third, to show the number placement wrt the body stripes.  All of the CSL jobs I've ordered (or purchased secondary) were well done.

Are you including patches for them to sew?

Yes I have all the patches. I contacted them a few months ago and they said they still had the edge plates, but was definitely going to conserve them since I'll essentially be sending them a home and away this round, then a home and '17 WC next time. Bought nameplates from JB last time I got a jersey in case enough time goes by that CSL no longer has them. 

Thanks for the info. 

If you're really picky about patch placement, I always recommend placing them ahead of time.  I use a little spritz of 3M aerosol adhesive, and it's worked for me.

Priority flat rate is the best for shipping, IMO.  You can pack blanks in pretty tight. They always come back needing some sort of ironing, so I don't worry about creating some wrinkles on the outbound trip.

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

If you're really picky about patch placement, I always recommend placing them ahead of time.  I use a little spritz of 3M aerosol adhesive, and it's worked for me.

Priority flat rate is the best for shipping, IMO.  You can pack blanks in pretty tight. They always come back needing some sort of ironing, so I don't worry about creating some wrinkles on the outbound trip.

Box or padded envelope? I thought box but I've gotten blanks from JB in padded envelopes.

1 minute ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Box or padded envelope? I thought box but I've gotten blanks from JB in padded envelopes.

I prefer to ship (and have mine shipped) in a box. But padded envelopes work, so do Tyvek (non padded) bags, since jerseys aren't breakable. Not sure the padding would do anything other than make the envelope a little thicker. 

12 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Yeah I just go with what fits best, with a preference for boxes.  2 jerseys - medium flat rate.  3-4 jerseys - large flat rate.  5 or more jerseys - re-use an amazon box or cut down a cheapo home depot moving box to size.

Wrapped in plastic I assume?

I use those Priority Regional Rate Boxes - A and B.  Sometimes the regional rate is cheaper than the normal priority or priority flat-rate.  Box A is perfect for a single jersey and Box B is perfect for two.

If the regional rate is higher, then I just use it as a normal priority box. You have to get them online at USPS.com, though. They don't usually have them at the post office.

Edited by jsh139

23 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Yeah I just go with what fits best, with a preference for boxes.  2 jerseys - medium flat rate.  3-4 jerseys - large flat rate.  5 or more jerseys - re-use an amazon box or cut down a cheapo home depot moving box to size.

I would add, check what the non-flat rate price is first, especially if the recipient is close by. 

12 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Wrapped in plastic I assume?

I put them all in 2.5 gallon Ziploc bags, which I get at Target, $2.29 for 15 bags. 

2 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I use those Priority Regional Rate Boxes - A and B.  Sometimes the regional rate is cheaper than the normal priority or priority flat-rate.  Box A is perfect for a single jersey and Box B is perfect for two.

If the regional rate is higher, then I just use it as a normal priority box. You have to get them online at USPS.com, though. They don't usually have them at the post office.

Those boxes are great too. The best practice is to check the prices on regular, Regional and Flat Rate. 

If I'm trying to eke out a couple more bucks on a jersey I just sold, I'll play the game with what kind of box to ship them in.  But if I'm shipping $500 worth of jerseys so that I can spend another $250 on customizing, I really don't care if the outbound costs me $18 or $16.50. 

4 minutes ago, furiousd said:

If I'm trying to eke out a couple more bucks on a jersey I just sold, I'll play the game with what kind of box to ship them in.  But if I'm shipping $500 worth of jerseys so that I can spend another $250 on customizing, I really don't care if the outbound costs me $18 or $16.50. 

Insurance a given?

edit: dumb question.

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

32 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I’m physically unable to not pay the lowest price possible. It’s an OCD thing I’m sure. 

On 6/21/2018 at 1:53 PM, mfitz804 said:

I’m physically unable to not pay the lowest price possible. It’s an OCD thing I’m sure. 

Speaking of saving money, is it better to use USPS boxes or your own?

37 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

If you're shipping Priority, you might as well use their boxes.  If you're trying to save money by shipping first class or some other service, you pretty much have to use your own.  I don't believe that you're allowed to use a box labeled Priority and ship with a lower service class.

1 hour ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

49 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

If you're shipping Priority, you might as well use their boxes.  If you're trying to save money by shipping first class or some other service, you pretty much have to use your own.  I don't believe that you're allowed to use a box labeled Priority and ship with a lower service class.

Yup, that’s right. I always use USPS Priority supplies for jerseys, since they are too heavy for First Class.

And no, you can’t use Priority stuff for other classes, even if you over them up. If they catch you, they can refuse it. Not sure if there are any other consequences beyond that. 

21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, that’s right. I always use USPS Priority supplies for jerseys, since they are too heavy for First Class.

And no, you can’t use Priority stuff for other classes, even if you over them up. If they catch you, they can refuse it. Not sure if there are any other consequences beyond that. 

What size box for two jerseys is recommended?

39 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

What size box for two jerseys is recommended?

Any of the above will fit two: the regular Priority 15x14x3, Medium Flat Rate, or Regional Box B. 

If you're in Chicago, you could just drive there if you're worried about shipping. They won't be busy until the start of the season.

They added a few patches for me in about 10 mins. You can call and ask to see how long you would wait if dropped off in person.

Edited by Gewargis