Accuracy/Quality quandary

Nathan

I have a late-1980s Penguins jersey with 66s on it, which all looks to be accurate.

The problem is that it has a screened crest on airknit, which is correct for 1987-88. But the sewn twill numbers, in addition to the placement of said numbers, didn't start until 1988-89 - which was an ultrafil jersey.

So my quandary is whether to strip off the numbers and have everything re-done according to the original on-ice specs, which to me were hideous. Or I can keep it as it is, which looks significantly nicer even though it does create a material/accuracy mismatch. Or I can pick up a sewn twill crest and include that when I sell/trade it., without actually sewing it down or placing it.

Thoughts?

First is 1987-88, second is 1988-89

10006.jpg

dscn8655-b_orig.jpg

Edited by Nathan

I don’t know about you, but the differences between the 87/88 and 88/89 collar colors, and the different stripe patterns are enough to make me not want to convert the 87/88 jersey into an 88/89.  Even if you change the crest to the twill one, it’s still not gonna be accurate to the 88/89, even if you don’t take into account the airknit/ultrafil discrepancy.

Edited by LAK74

27 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I don’t know about you, but the differences between the 87/88 and 88/89 collar colors, and the different stripe patterns are enough to make me not want to convert the 87/88 jersey into an 88/89.  Even if you change the crest to the twill one, it’s still not gonna be accurate to the 88/89, even if you don’t take into account the airknit/ultrafil discrepancy.

Seconded. 

This is a position I would just not want to be in.  Like the OP,  I hate the lettering for the 87/88, from the font style to the cheap materials.  So I wouldn’t even want to bother stripping a good 88/89 lettering job and go to the trouble of putting on a new font that I didn’t like.  I realize this is not very helpful, but if it were me, I think I would just have avoided buying that one in the first place.

Edited by LAK74

I'm an picky on the year a jersey was used and the correct style of that year. So I would do the 87/88 jersey, but I would much rather have the 88/89 one.  Plus, the 88/89 year is the crest with the gold toe, so finding that exact crest would be almost impossible to find.

But - it is your jersey, so that is the great thing, you can do what you want.

Yea, if you don't want the 87-88 jersey, then I'd trade it to someone for an ultrafil model from the next season like @furiousd suggested.  The rarity of that 87-88 jersey is enough to completely offset the value of an ultrafil model and still get value back on top of it.  At least if it were blank and/or customized correctly.  Even though they are cheaper constructed jerseys due to air knit, the screened crest & vinyl letter kit, they are so rare to find that it would be a shame to see it get ripped apart.

As for the gold toe crest - even if you were to find one, it wouldn't completely cover the screened-on crest that's on there now.  I just checked with the two I have.  The screened-on crest is different enough that it is decently taller than the gold toe one.

If nothing else, just leave the customization job as-is currently like you already suggested.

15 hours ago, blurryhaze312 said:

Yea, if you don't want the 87-88 jersey, then I'd trade it to someone for an ultrafil model from the next season like @furiousd suggested.  The rarity of that 87-88 jersey is enough to completely offset the value of an ultrafil model and still get value back on top of it.  At least if it were blank and/or customized correctly.  Even though they are cheaper constructed jerseys due to air knit, the screened crest & vinyl letter kit, they are so rare to find that it would be a shame to see it get ripped apart.

As for the gold toe crest - even if you were to find one, it wouldn't completely cover the screened-on crest that's on there now.  I just checked with the two I have.  The screened-on crest is different enough that it is decently taller than the gold toe one.

If nothing else, just leave the customization job as-is currently like you already suggested.

I kind of pulled that suggestion out of the air, but it's good to know that I wasn't off-base.  And if OP doesn't care about the gold toe (the way I read it, he might just prefer any ultrafil over the airnkit), that should open up the possibilities.

But also mark me down for always doing a rare jersey as correctly as possible.  You owe it to yourself, the jersey, and the community to do it right.  :lol:

21 minutes ago, furiousd said:

But also mark me down for always doing a rare jersey as correctly as possible.  You owe it to yourself, the jersey, and the community to do it right.  :lol:

Agreed. Take a 2.0 blank and do whatever you want, but rare, vintage jerseys should be treated a certain way. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Take a 2.0 blank and do whatever you want,

30 years from now that 2.0 will be a rare vintage jersey, and someone will probably dig up this thread and post the same question again. ?

20 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

30 years from now that 2.0 will be a rare vintage jersey, and someone will probably dig up this thread and post the same question again. ?

And at that time, the answer will change lol.