Ducks "Adidas" Made-in-Canada throwback (pics)

artificialintuition

I picked up a warm-up worn shirt while at the Ducks "Jersey Tribute Night" the other night. Each of these special nights is an homage to one of the shirts the team has worn over the years, with the players wearing that night's featured shirt during warm-ups. It was a bit of an impulse play, and I didn't fully examine it until today.

The shirt is nominally badged "Adidas" and the tags show "Made in Canada" -- though that is only noted on the care instructions; there's no M-I-C/Canadian flag tag as I've seen on other Reebok/Adidas shirts.

The neck tag shows "Adidas 52", but this is several inches wider than a GW Adidas 56. (I noticed most other players' shirts had "Adidas 54" tags sewn in, which struck me as odd.) There is no size printed on the neck band as we see on current Adidas samples.

The care instructions tag does not match either the Indonesian of Canadian Adidas jerseys -- looks more similar to the Reebok care tags, though without the Reebok logo. It has the same sticker with the production date (28 09 18 in this case) as my Reebok ones have on the back of the care instructions... but my Adidas ones do not have this. Hm.

Thought it might be interesting for the group. Can't seem to directly embed the photos, so here are some links:

http://imgur.com/51fAFQm

http://imgur.com/AFsaBT6

http://imgur.com/sD0Kf0Q

http://imgur.com/GWrLs7E

http://imgur.com/8GKCTHa

Interesting, eh?

I think this shirt design was originally worn during the CCM era, and the material is not like the Edge 1.0 and 2.0 shirts I have. I have not seen CCM on-ice jerseys before in person; perhaps this is the same material?

The Ducks were auctioning off one of these, and the auction site listed that one as "Authentic." Of course here we know Adidas "Authentic" to mean not as worn on-ice.

Wondering exactly what we have here. These certainly WERE worn during warm-ups.

It looks like the old 6100 cut, which is what those jerseys originally were. Pretty cool. And nice player choice. 

The material looks to be the same as that used in the current AHL jerseys which are made by CCM; it looks very similar to the SP flo-knit material.  CCM has not used this material in NHL game worn jerseys, afaik.

53 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It looks like the old 6100 cut, which is what those jerseys originally were. Pretty cool. And nice player choice. 

Interesting if they pulled, somehow, the original material for them.

I wondered what was up with the fight strap. It does not have the double reinforcement current GW jerseys have. Is this the way it was back then, or did they simply go with the presumably easier/cheaper style for current "authentics" as this would just be used for one warm-up?

It just seems like an odd conglomeration.

I also wonder why they sewed a "52" tag in there. Seems to be *at least* a 58. All the others whose tag I noticed were 54s. I remember thinking it was odd as the Ducks are a bigger team, and all the other GW shirts in the arena that I've seen over the years are 58 or 60. I've never seen a 56 or smaller.

The way it played out was this:
I was in the team store after the 1st period as I knew they occasionally have warm-up pucks available. As I was there, someone wheeled out a rack of shirts and mentioned something about lining up; he then called out #1. I asked about signing up, and he gave me #9. It seemed like few people really knew what was going on.

I think that only 3 of the people who had numbers 1-8 were physically there, so 5 people were skipped. Maybe they signed up before the game started and then forgot to come back?

When my turn was called I grabbed the Henrique without hesitation. In hindsight I was second-guessing my decision. The fact that it was a 52 played some factor -- it's a size I can more readily wear. Even in the arena I was thinking maybe I should  have grabbed the Rakell; turns out that one was held back to be auctioned off for the Ducks Foundation. It sold for >$1k.

I was surprised when I got home and measured it up against other shirts.

I've actually never gotten as many compliments nor have I had as many people stop me to talk about a shirt  as I did with this one.

54 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

The material looks to be the same as that used in the current AHL jerseys which are made by CCM; it looks very similar to the SP flo-knit material.  CCM has not used this material in NHL game worn jerseys, afaik.

Thanks. Didn't realize CCM was still making shirts for the AHL. 

Makes sense to remove at least the *outer* CCM references -- but I also find it odd they sewed in Adidas 52 and 54 size tags. Why???

2 hours ago, artificialintuition said:

The neck tag shows "Adidas 52", but this is several inches wider than a GW Adidas 56. (I noticed most other players' shirts had "Adidas 54" tags sewn in, which struck me as odd.)

As mfitz804 mentioned earlier, this jersey looks more like the 6100 style, whose sizing system is different than that of the Reebok Edges and Adidas Adizeros.  A 52 in this jersey would be fairly close to a 56 Reebok or maybe even a 56-58 Adidas.  If your jersey measures around 26-27” pit-to-pit, then it’s correctly sized for that style.  If it doesn’t, then I don’t know where they pulled those size numbers from.

26 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

As mfitz804 mentioned earlier, this jersey looks more like the 6100 style, whose sizing system is different than that of the Reebok Edges and Adidas Adizeros.  A 52 in this jersey would be fairly close to a 56 Reebok or maybe even a 56-58 Adidas.  If your jersey measures around 26-27” pit-to-pit, then it’s correctly sized for that style.  If it doesn’t, then I don’t know where they pulled those size numbers from.

Thanks.

It measures 60" pit-to-pit. 

Kind of interesting (bizarre) that the others had a more official looking "Adidas 54" tag in the neck (e.g., mine just says "Adidas" and "52" while the others had more on them; can't recall exactly what that was now, though :D). 

I appreciate the knowledge dropped by you, @mfitz804 and others!

Truthfully, I might have made a different choice had I realized the cut was a bit different. You're kind of put on the spot, and I'd *assumed* (incorrectly!) these were actually replicas made in the modern Adidas style/cut. I actually like that they are CCMs.

Is the Flo-Knit on this one what was used on the NHL jerseys back then? Would a close up photo help? The material looks the same across all zones of the shirt, though the shoulders and elbows are double-layer.

38 minutes ago, artificialintuition said:

Thanks.

It measures 60" pit-to-pit. 

That’s not possible, unless you are including both sides.

Yeah, that definitely looks like Nike/ProPlayer/SP Flo-Knit material. There’s no double-layer twill on the fight strap because that material is strong and doesn’t need the extra layer. 

I’m guessing the size 52 is old 6100 sizing, like others have said. Try laying the jersey flat and measure across the chest, excluding the underarm gussets. It should be right around 26”. 

Sweet jersey, btw!

Assuming the pit-to-pit is 30” then, that’s pretty huge.  (Please, no TWSS jokes.)  That’s larger than any size 52 of any brand, including Nike.  Maybe they pulled that size 52 tag out of their *** just to have something on the jersey, because it wouldn’t correlate with any sizing system we know of.

27 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Assuming the pit-to-pit is 30” then, that’s pretty huge.  (Please, no TWSS jokes.)  That’s larger than any size 52 of any brand, including Nike.  Maybe they pulled that size 52 tag out of their *** just to have something on the jersey, because it wouldn’t correlate with any sizing system we know of.

That’s correct. That’s roughly a 58 in a 6100. 

2 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Yeah, that definitely looks like Nike/ProPlayer/SP Flo-Knit material. There’s no double-layer twill on the fight strap because that material is strong and doesn’t need the extra layer. 

I’m guessing the size 52 is old 6100 sizing, like others have said. Try laying the jersey flat and measure across the chest, excluding the underarm gussets. It should be right around 26”. 

Sweet jersey, btw!

Thanks! 

Educate me here: Did Nike and CCM share the same material?

I included the gussets in my earlier 30" (mistakenly said 60") measurement. I'll re-measure.

3 minutes ago, artificialintuition said:

Thanks! 

Educate me here: Did Nike and CCM share the same material?

I included the gussets in my earlier 30" (mistakenly said 60") measurement. I'll re-measure.

They did not, as LAK noted above. 

4 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Sweet jersey, btw!

Came out to nearly 27" when measured pit-to-pit for only the front/chest panel.

4 hours ago, LAK74 said:

Maybe they pulled that size 52 tag out of their *** just to have something on the jersey, because it wouldn’t correlate with any sizing system we know of.

Seems like they did. My thought was actually that they tagged many of them with the more official-looking "Adidas 54" tags, but maybe ran out and threw a 52 on here. Not sure why that popped to mind when I was scanning the rack. Maybe it's true after all. :)

Thanks for all the help. Glad to share something that seems interesting.

6 hours ago, artificialintuition said:

Came out to nearly 27" when measured pit-to-pit for only the front/chest panel.

That measures out to a 54 in a 6100 cut (all you do is double that number, sizes then were based on the actual chest measurement, before the Edge jerseys featured sizes that were just pulled out of Reebok’s a$$ just based on tradition). 

There’s always some slight variation in chest widths so “nearly 27”” says to me that it’s a large 52 or a small 54 ?

Remember how Nike jerseys traditionally ran slightly larger for the same size? I really do think that the 52 tag is actually appropriate. 

Edited by jsh139

I’ve only had a few Nike’s over the years and I never really noticed them being any larger than a CCM. But I know a lot of people say that.

Man, I really love this group and the knowledge you have. I'm a novice compared to all of you, but I love learning. I basically have zero knowledge pre-Edge-1.0 era, so while I knew something was not quite right I could not be certain of the details.

Gotta say it is very interesting to me that it looks like they went back and made the jersey period-appropriate... with the current Adidas badging added presumably due to current deals with the NHL.