Pulling the goalie for extra skater

Is this effective in any cities outside of Chicago, or is anyone else tired of watching one point games turn into embarrassing two point games late in the third because of the "extra attacker" tactic. 

Every time the Hawks are in this situation it ends up an empty net goal outcome.

I don't play hockey, and my knowledge is average at best, but is This ever more than just a final effort to tie it up, even though it hasn't gone tht way all season?

No different than the power play. Giving your team a man advantage should allow to you better control the puck in the opponents zone where they can't cover all the players you now have in the zone. Of course, for it to work you have to have control in their zone otherwise they have an empty net.

If you're losing by 1 goal, may as well try to tie it up and force OT. If the other team scores in the empty net, you still lost but at least you gave it a shot. From a points perspective it doesn't matter if you lose by 1 or 100; a loss is a loss. Fantasy points and all those crap percentages don't mean anything in league rankings.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:10 PM, mdwsta4 said:

No different than the power play. Giving your team a man advantage should allow to you better control the puck in the opponents zone where they can't cover all the players you now have in the zone. Of course, for it to work you have to have control in their zone otherwise they have an empty net.

If you're losing by 1 goal, may as well try to tie it up and force OT. If the other team scores in the empty net, you still lost but at least you gave it a shot. From a points perspective it doesn't matter if you lose by 1 or 100; a loss is a loss. Fantasy points and all those crap percentages don't mean anything in league rankings.

I get that. I guess my thought is that if the team isn't even producing on the man advantage, why take out the backstop instead of just trying to get more pucks to the net and  have a better presence around the crease. I realize I'm over simplifying this, but to me, pulling the goalie is a tactic for a solid offense, or as you said, one that controls the puck in the offensive zone. 

I read somewhere that pulling the goalie late in the game gives the trailing team an extra 10% chance of scoring a goal.  I guess that percentage goes up or down depending on the team's PP effectiveness.  In a league where literally 1 point often separate playoff seeds, it's worth it to try and force OT for 1 or possibly 2 points.

Not that the team's really care about this, but I've been at the arena when the team scored not one, but two late-game goals to tie it up and force OT.  Talk about exciting. You've never heard such cheering and noise in your life ? The whole building shook.

15 hours ago, jsh139 said:

I read somewhere that pulling the goalie late in the game gives the trailing team an extra 10% chance of scoring a goal.  I guess that percentage goes up or down depending on the team's PP effectiveness.  In a league where literally 1 point often separate playoff seeds, it's worth it to try and force OT for 1 or possibly 2 points.

Cool, I couldn't find numbers that answered or my question so thanks for posting that. I know the purpose, it's just frustrating as a fan to watch one of the worst PPs in the league constantly get caught with their pants down with an empty net. I hear guys talk about playing with more confidence when a certain goalie is in net, so I wonder what an empty net does for confidence and eventually morale when that fails.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's most effective when the team that pulls their goalie has a power play in desperation mode. E.g. 6 on 4 or 6 on 3. Otherwise, there are 11 skaters on the ice and there's not a ton of space to operate and set up offenses.