Update: The NOW Complete Colorado Avalanche Joe Sakic Authentics On-Ice Collection - Every Era 1995-2018

hodkurtz

1/19/19 Update:  So I think it's fair to finally say now that my Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche On-Ice Jersey Collection is actually complete!  Just got back the first two Avalanche alternates (both burgundy and blue diagonal Colorado logo versions) to add to the collection. 

With this, I now can officially say that I do have every style and era represented in the collection!   I have updated the photos below with the two new additions, to complete the photo collection!

Original Post:

Good evening fellow IceJerseys Forum Collectors!

Over the past two years, I have been working diligently to create a complete Avalanche Sakic Authentic On-Ice jersey collection, covering every on-ice authentic era and style over the past 24 years of Avalanche hockey

As of today, I have officially completed my collection of every mainstay style and era of the Avalanche, including all three Alternates as well as the Stadium Series jersey, all with Joe Sakic customizations!  In total, the collection encompasses every era, including the Starter Mesh Era (1995-2000), CCM/KOHO Air Knit Era (2000-2007), Reebok Edge Era (2007-2017), and the adidas ADIZERO Era (2017-Current)

For both my fellow Avalanche enthusiasts on the forum, as well as for my other fellow collectors, I wanted to share the collection with all of you!

Special thanks to Locker Room Sports (Allen Park, MI), Keener Jerseys, Ice Jerseys, and Cool Hockey for all of their great customization work to make this collection possible!

1995-1996 Starter Mesh Stanley Cup (Away) - Size 52 (New With Tags)

Customized by Keener Jerseys

1995-1996 Starter Mesh Stanley Cup (Away) - Size 52

1995-1996 Starter Mesh Stanley Cup (Away) - Size 52

1995-1996 Starter Mesh (Home) - Size 48

Name Plate by Locker Room Sports, Numbers and Captain C by Ice Jerseys

1995-1996 Starter Mesh (Home) - Size 481995-1996 Starter Mesh (Home) - Size 48

2000-2004 KOHO Maska Air Knit (Away) - Size 52

Customized by Locker Room Sports (Allen Park, MI)

2000-2004 CCM Maska Air Knit (Away) - Size 522000-2004 CCM Maska Air Knit (Away) - Size 52

2000-2001 CCM Maska Air Knit Stanley Cup (Home) - Size 52 (New With Tags)

2001 CCM Maska Air Knit Stanley Cup (Home) - Size 522001 CCM Maska Air Knit Stanley Cup (Home) - Size 52

2007 Reebok Edge 1.0 (Home) - Size 50

2007 Reebok Edge 1.0 (Home) - Size 502007 Reebok Edge 1.0 (Home) - Size 50

2007 Reebok Edge 1.0 (Away) (Sakic Jersey Retirement Patch) - Size 50

Customized by Cool Hockey

2007 Reebok Edge 1.0 (Away) (Sakic Jersey Retirement Patch) - Size 502007 Reebok Edge 1.0 (Away) (Sakic Jersey Retirement Patch) - Size 50

2007-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Home) - Size 50

2007-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Home) - Size 502007-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Home) - Size 50

2007-2015 Team Issued Reebok Edge 2.0 (Away) - Size 54

2007-2015 Team Issued Reebok Edge 2.0 (Away) - Size 542007-2015 Team Issued Reebok Edge 2.0 (Away) - Size 54

2001-2004 KOHO Maska Air Knit (Alternate) - Size 52

2009-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 Team Issued (Alternate) - Size 56

2009-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Alternate) - Size 562009-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Alternate) - Size 56

2015-2017 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Alternate) (Avalanche 20th Anniversary Patch) (NHL Centennial Patch) - Size 54

2015-2017 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Alternate) (Avalanche 20th Anniversary Patch) (NHL Centennial Patch) - Size 542015-2017 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Alternate) (Avalanche 20th Anniversary Patch) (NHL Centennial Patch) - Size 54

2016 Stadium Series Reebok Edge 2.0 - Size 54

2016 Stadium Series Reebok Edge 2.0 - Size 542016 Stadium Series Reebok Edge 2.0 - Size 54

2017 Team Issued adidas ADIZERO Made in Canada (Home) - Size 56

2017 Team Issued adidas ADIZERO Made in Canada (Home) - Size 562017 Team Issued adidas ADIZERO Made in Canada (Home) - Size 56

Edited by hodkurtz
First two team alternates added, collection is now complete :)

2 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

Very nice......but it doesn't really feel complete without this one:

Image result for joe sakic 3rd jersey

Agreed, both that one and the all-blue version of that one are still on my wish list.  I was trying to indicate that the alternates are still a work in progress, and that the collection was completed on the basis of the standard jersey sets.

Honestly, I've always been a bit lukewarm to the diagonal Colorado logo alternate jerseys.  I always felt like they were rather uninspired ripoffs of the Rangers design, not in keeping with the holistically original designs that the Avalanche brought to the NHL, with the chevrons and the awesome "A" logo, which is definitely one of the best and most original NHL Team logos (in my opinion).

What about ProPlayer??

They wore ProPlayer for 1999-00

Also the Starter jerseys varied in hem tagging from season to season, not sure if you are trying to distinguish that in your collection or not

On 11/9/2018 at 5:40 AM, HockeyMusic said:

What about ProPlayer??

They wore ProPlayer for 1999-00

Also the Starter jerseys varied in hem tagging from season to season, not sure if you are trying to distinguish that in your collection or not

Regarding the ProPlayer, I didn’t really see a substantial difference in the material over the Starter Mesh (whereas the Edge 1.0 vs Edge 2.0 I felt like was a substantial change in material and feel for the front and arm panels).

With regards to the Starter jerseys, the hem variation wasn’t enough for me to want to collect all variants.  I went for the inaugural season Starters  simply because they had the most unique qualities vs the other Starter Avs jerseys (tilted “A” crest logo, varying font thickness in the letters on the name plates).  The changes to the hems was more minor to me, similar to when Reebok switched from the vector logo to the Reebok name logo on the Edge 2.0s.

I will be going for the burgundy and blue diagonal “Colorado” alternates next, even though I’m not a huge fan of those, in all honesty.  I’m also planning on hunting down an adidas ADIZERO Team Issued Away blank at some point as well, to match up with my home one.

4 hours ago, Gewargis said:

I envy your self control

Self control?  Man, I wish I could find that!

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah my OCD is too strong, if I were going to do this, it’s have to be “complete”. 

agree, but this can never be fully complete...since we are into some strange stuff here,  sakic never wore a MIC adidas with 100 year patch. So when the team changes styles again i guess this forum member also need a jersey like that with sakic on. 

1 minute ago, tomtucker said:

agree, but this can never be fully complete...since we are into some strange stuff here,  sakic never wore a MIC adidas with 100 year patch. So when the team changes styles again i guess this forum member also need a jersey like that with sakic on. 

Incorrect...it can be "fully complete" without the Adidas jersey. The Adidas is extra. If you got all the ones Sakic wore, then you would be complete. 

As presently situated, now that he has the Adidas, I agree that he now must purchase every Avalance jersey ever and have Sakic on it. It's the only way. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Incorrect...it can be "fully complete" without the Adidas jersey. The Adidas is extra. If you got all the ones Sakic wore, then you would be complete. 

As presently situated, now that he has the Adidas, I agree that he now must purchase every Avalance jersey ever and have Sakic on it. It's the only way. 

my bad, you are right.  Also have to apply to juniors and of course team canada jerseys, and canada olympic  teams sakic was not even on !   starting with 2018 and then working backwards 

Edited by tomtucker

1 minute ago, tomtucker said:

my bad, you are right.  Also have to apply to juniors and of course team canada jerseys, and canada olympic  teams sakic was not even on !   starting with 2018 and then working backwards 

This is one of the reasons why I don't start sub-collections like that. Don't forget specialty warmup jerseys, HFC Night, Military Appreciation Night, etc...

I mean I have a small Brodeur sub-collection going, but I have set some limits...only one of each type regardless of specialty patches (one Reebok 6100, CCM airknit, etc., but of course home and road, don't be silly) and only goalie cuts going forward.

Fewer available equals I can't buy them equals I don't spend every penny I have buying 20 years worth of jerseys that essentially look identical.

Plus, Lou Lamoriello was boring and there weren't a lot of variants. Not even a lot of patches. 

I will, however, add the St. Louis jerseys, because I respect that he wanted to keep playing, and I know they upset people and I like to do that sometimes. 

On 11/13/2018 at 4:29 PM, hodkurtz said:

I will be going for the burgundy and blue diagonal “Colorado” alternates next, even though I’m not a huge fan of those, in all honesty.  I’m also planning on hunting down an adidas ADIZERO Team Issued Away blank at some point as well, to match up with my home one.

Neat collection!  I've attempted a few complete-set type sub-collections, but your reasoning above has always caused me to bail.  I'll realize I just don't like one of them, then I start questioning the point of a not-complete-complete-set, then a new ball of yarn catches my eye and I go chase it.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:30 AM, mfitz804 said:

On 11/14/2018 at 7:26 AM, tomtucker said:

@tomtucker @mfitz804 You are both on the right track, but perhaps I should clarify my long-term goal.  Every Avalanche jersey that I purchase going forward, as long as Sakic remains the GM of the Avalanche or a member of the team's management in general, will be a Sakic customization.  That will mean that every jersey I own he either A) wore it as a player, or B ) was the GM when that jersey was being worn by the team that he was spearheading.  The Stadium Series jersey acts as more of a hybrid of both situations, since he both played in the Alumni game that was part of that Stadium Series, as well as was the GM that both oversaw the team as well as coordinated with both Yzerman and the NHL on bringing the Stadium Series to Colorado.

So, yes, this trend will continue until he departs the organization completely.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:23 AM, furiousd said:

Neat collection!  I've attempted a few complete-set type sub-collections, but your reasoning above has always caused me to bail.  I'll realize I just don't like one of them, then I start questioning the point of a not-complete-complete-set, then a new ball of yarn catches my eye and I go chase it.

@furiousd I think that's where I knew I had to draw a line in the sand for myself.  I wanted to make the collection complete "within reason," but also only if the jerseys were ones I truly liked and would actually wear.  Luckily, I happen to like every standard Home and Away version of the Avs jerseys, as well as the newer "Rockies" alternate and Stadium Series.  Only possible way I would pick up the burgundy and blue diagonal "Colorado" alternates is if I found them on a ridiculously good deal on eBay.

11 minutes ago, hodkurtz said:

I wanted to make the collection complete "within reason," 

Well, there’s your problem right there. 

On 11/21/2018 at 7:16 AM, jsh139 said:

I know someone selling a blank size 54 Koho burgundy diagonal. $150, I believe. Let me know if you want more info. 

Thanks for the heads up!  However, I just got really lucky on eBay, and found a Blank Size 52 KOHO Burgundy Diagonal and got the seller down to $109.00!  

If you know anyone that might have a blank Blue Diagonal Reebok (either Edge 1.0 or Edge 2.0 version) in anything from Size 50-54, please let me know.  Jersey Baron has a Team Issued Size 56 Blank for the Blue Diagonal (Edge 2.0), but it's posted for $199.99 (too high for where I want to go) and the size is just a bit too big.

10 hours ago, hodkurtz said:

Thanks for the heads up!  However, I just got really lucky on eBay, and found a Blank Size 52 KOHO Burgundy Diagonal and got the seller down to $109.00!  

If you know anyone that might have a blank Blue Diagonal Reebok (either Edge 1.0 or Edge 2.0 version) in anything from Size 50-54, please let me know.  Jersey Baron has a Team Issued Size 56 Blank for the Blue Diagonal (Edge 2.0), but it's posted for $199.99 (too high for where I want to go) and the size is just a bit too big.

Nice, congrats!  If I see a blue one I'll let you know.

• 1 month later...

So I think it's fair to finally say now that my Joe Sakic Colorado Avalanche On-Ice Jersey Collection is actually complete!  Just got back the first two Avalanche alternates to add to the collection. 

With this, I now can officially say that I do have every style and era represented in the collection!   I've posted the photos below, as well as added them to the initial post along with the existing collection photos.

2001-2004 KOHO Maska Air Knit (Alternate) - Size 52 - Customized by Locker Room Sports (Allen Park, MI)

2009-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 Team Issued (Alternate) - Size 56 - Customized by Locker Room Sports (Allen Park, MI)

2009-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Alternate) - Size 562009-2015 Reebok Edge 2.0 (Alternate) - Size 56

Edited by hodkurtz

5 minutes ago, tomtucker said:

burgundy alt is very nice, they should use that one instead of the one they use now..... that has to be top 5 all time ugliest jersey. I am sure joe sakic is happy he never had to wear that. 

Are you referring to the navy blue alternate with the “C” mountain logo homage to the Colorado Rockies franchise as the ugly one?  If so, that’s an interesting take, as most reviews and Avs fans vote the current alternate at the top of the list.

Personally, I too am a big fan of the burgundy alt, and the similar ice blue alt that they used prior to the current alt has actually grown on me to the point that it might be my favorite of all three.

this is the one i can't stand.... Cubs looking logo,  illuminati all seeing eye looking jersey, with awkward state flag, same crap Calgary pulls...... ..... shoulders are awful as well.

To me, this is not the colorado avalanche. Has nothing to do with them.

1996 home and away on the other  hand, top 10 jersey all time. Avs main logo + yeti shoulder logos = amazing.  Cubs logo on shoulders now, no, looks like a curling team logo

43859011224_c5b2b1126d_b.jpg

Edited by tomtucker

8 hours ago, tomtucker said:

this is the one i can't stand.... Cubs looking logo,  illuminati all seeing eye looking jersey, with awkward state flag, same crap Calgary pulls...... ..... shoulders are awful as well.

To me, this is not the colorado avalanche. Has nothing to do with them.

1996 home and away on the other  hand, top 10 jersey all time. Avs main logo + yeti shoulder logos = amazing.  Cubs logo on shoulders now, no, looks like a curling team logo

🤣 I have to say, while I actually like their new alternate, I would be lying if I didn't say that you literally had me laughing out loud from your description of it.  Technically speaking, I can't argue with the picture you painted of it.  I do agree that, technically, it has nothing to do with them (since the rights to riffing off the old Rockies logo technically should belong to New Jersey, not Colorado), and I am getting a little tired of teams overusing state flags/state logos on the shoulders as of late (really lacking in creativity).  Still prefer the diagonal Colorado alternates over the current one.

Regarding what you said about the 1996 home and away Avs jerseys, you are absolutely spot-on!  There was absolutely no reason to ever mess with the original design.  The yeti foot was an instant classic alternate logo, the Avs "A" team logo is still one of the most original and inspired logo designs in the NHL, and the double borders (gray/blue on the white, white/black on the dark) worked so perfectly at separating the primary colors on the original jerseys.  While the new adidas jerseys are a step in the right direction at returning to their roots, the "C" logo on the shoulders is boring and uninspired, and using a single grey border color on the home and aways just doesn't give the same color distinction as the originals, especially on the current whites.

On 1/20/2019 at 7:19 PM, hodkurtz said:

🤣 I have to say, while I actually like their new alternate, I would be lying if I didn't say that you literally had me laughing out loud from your description of it.  Technically speaking, I can't argue with the picture you painted of it.  I do agree that, technically, it has nothing to do with them (since the rights to riffing off the old Rockies logo technically should belong to New Jersey, not Colorado), and I am getting a little tired of teams overusing state flags/state logos on the shoulders as of late (really lacking in creativity).  Still prefer the diagonal Colorado alternates over the current one.

Regarding what you said about the 1996 home and away Avs jerseys, you are absolutely spot-on!  There was absolutely no reason to ever mess with the original design.  The yeti foot was an instant classic alternate logo, the Avs "A" team logo is still one of the most original and inspired logo designs in the NHL, and the double borders (gray/blue on the white, white/black on the dark) worked so perfectly at separating the primary colors on the original jerseys.  While the new adidas jerseys are a step in the right direction at returning to their roots, the "C" logo on the shoulders is boring and uninspired, and using a single grey border color on the home and aways just doesn't give the same color distinction as the originals, especially on the current whites.

Yes, i was of course also going for a humor angle on that jersey attack ...... 😅

I can't believe they don't use that Yeti footprint anymore. Back in the day they even had Adam Foote... everything matched perfectly.😅

Also, the jersey of 1996 and 2001 were great, but also  the memory of  some of the last years of true power house teams, Roy, Blake, Sakic, Hejduk, Forsberg..... going up against an equally stacked Devils  team of Brodeur, Stevens, Arnott, Elias, Mogilny...

Detroit and Dallas were no picnic either !.. golden age of both hockey and hockey jerseys!

Edited by tomtucker