Capitals black alt customization?

mdwsta4

5 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

Well if CES can’t do it I’ll be sure to send it your way. You’ll be a pro by the time you’re done with those two 😉

I wouldn't go that far lol.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m 99% sure that EPS is your only option.  I was told that they bought all the bronze fabric that’s used to customize those jerseys.  As far as accuracy, I’m not sure anyone today can get it 100% accurate even if they had the material but if you send EPS a bunch of pictures, I’m sure they can get it pretty close.

I had Keener do one of those for me a few months back and he told me that he didn't have any of the ribbed bronze stuff. I said I didn't care. His lettering was great all the same.

2v2E94vLGx2YANR.jpg

But I do agree with the majority here that the pre-2000 CCM version with the one-piece name is fantastic. It's very 1980's Washington Bullets-esque.

20 hours ago, CYI3ERPUNK said:

I’m 99% sure that EPS is your only option.  I was told that they bought all the bronze fabric that’s used to customize those jerseys.  As far as accuracy, I’m not sure anyone today can get it 100% accurate even if they had the material but if you send EPS a bunch of pictures, I’m sure they can get it pretty close.

So both EPS and CES replied to me saying they could do it and I included the photo of a GW. I'll have to ask if they have that correct bronze material. What's the difference between these?

How can I confirm which one will do it better? Never run into this problem before. 

Edited by mdwsta4

On 1/24/2019 at 2:26 PM, guam64 said:

The answer would be yes. Don't believe Bondra was an alternative captain before 2000.

👍

So EPS cannot do the jersey correctly, but does have the correct bronze material? What are the differences in bronze?  

Heres PB with the jersey I’m looking to have done up with the A 

68412_0.jpg[/img]

34 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

So EPS cannot do the jersey correctly, but does have the correct bronze material? What are the differences in bronze?  

Heres PB with the jersey I’m looking to have done up with the A

EPS did mine in the picture a year or two ago so as long as they still have the material you should be good to go. As mentioned above the proper customization used the same bronze dazzle material as the jersey instead of bronze twill.

I remember seeing a Bondra gamer that didn't have the "A" on it. Hadn't seen that card before. Now I need to get an "A" for my jersey. :lol:

So is that blue layer kiss-cut over the bronze material on top of the white layer?  That is a cool customization - I might need to get one of those to go with my Blue Stanley Cup Final Adam Oates jersey.

10 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

So is that blue layer kiss-cut over the bronze material on top of the white layer?  That is a cool customization - I might need to get one of those to go with my Blue Stanley Cup Final Adam Oates jersey.

IIRC they were semi kiss-cut. Blue over white over bronze.

1 hour ago, guam64 said:

EPS did mine in the picture a year or two ago so as long as they still have the material you should be good to go. As mentioned above the proper customization used the same bronze dazzle material as the jersey instead of bronze twill.

Ah, gotcha. Did they get the nameplate correct? Have a photo? I couldn’t find it when using the search. 

7 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

Ah, gotcha. Did they get the nameplate correct? Have a photo? I couldn’t find it when using the search. 

3681189_orig.jpg

Thank you. I can definitely see the differences, but it’s not terrible. Surprised they put it on a nameplate. Couldn’t tell from the gamer photo but I guess I thought it was sewn straight on the jersey.

So it seems like my choices are get the proper bronze from EPS or get the proper name font from CES? 

Almost all the gamers I have seen have nameplates.

Comes down to how exact do you want to be. If the font differences bother you more than the material differences, you might be able to get a proper name done with the proper material if you buy an old Jagr gamer with the bronze material and chop it up.

Edited by guam64

1 hour ago, guam64 said:

Comes down to how exact do you want to be. If the font differences bother you more than the material differences, you might be able to get a proper name done with the proper material if you buy an old Jagr gamer with the bronze material and chop it up.

That might be my favorite comment ever from you. Very subtle. 😅

2 hours ago, guam64 said:

My mistake. I was going off of low res photos. Hard to tell on a black jersey. Thanks for the clarification. 

Boom! Totally buying a gamer and going that route. Great idea 

2 hours ago, guam64 said:

Any destroyed Jagr Caps jersey is a step in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Ok I know old topic but I recently went down a worm hole of research about this topic, researching an Adam Oates jersey and wanted to share some of my findings. 

The Alts were used in the middle of the 97-98 season for only 9 games. Names on nameplates were curved solid white layer,  most letters like O,R,B etc were not cut out in the center of the letters. 

98-99 They used the alt set in 16 games. Now letters are cut out, like "O" has the middle cut out of the twill.

Here's where it gets confusing. Because the alts were used sparingly some players elected to wear their first issued alts all the way into 2000 while others were issued new alts. There are games where the NHL shield on the hem is orange while silver on other players in the same game. So now you have different font styles competing against each other during the same games.

Heres a picture I put together. Top 3 pics of Peter Bondra from left to right. Middle is a game worn jersey.  97-98.     98-99-00.    2000-01+
Bottom two- 
Konowalchuk wearing 97-98 set while Bulis wearing a newer set during a game in 2000. Focus on the "U" of each jersey and the white layer thickness of each. 

49508239486_31c92b5ad9_k.jpg

Another example. Eagles with the original style while Oates has the later rendition. Focus on the "S" 
49508332766_8287ca5a93_k.jpg

Edited by BennGuin1491

2 hours ago, BennGuin1491 said:

Ok I know old topic but I recently went down a worm hole of research about this topic, researching an Adam Oates jersey and wanted to share some of my findings. 

The Alts were used in the middle of the 97-98 season for only 9 games. Names on nameplates were curved solid white layer,  most letters like O,R,B etc were not cut out in the center of the letters. 

98-99 They used the alt set in 16 games. Now letters are cut out, like "O" has the middle cut out of the twill.

Here's where it gets confusing. Because the alts were used sparingly some players elected to wear their first issued alts all the way into 2000 while others were issued new alts. There are games where the NHL shield on the hem is orange while silver on other players in the same game. So now you have different font styles competing against each other during the same games.

Heres a picture I put together. Top 3 pics of Peter Bondra from left to right. Middle is a game worn jersey.  97-98.     98-99-00.    2000-01+
Bottom two- 
Konowalchuk wearing 97-98 set while Bulis wearing a newer set during a game in 2000. Focus on the "U" of each jersey and the white layer thickness of each.

Definitely looks all over the place.  Like your research shows, it looks like there is no consistency from year to year because of reused jerseys.

So, what player, and what year, are you looking to customize.  Oates?

Actually I purchased an Oates and its now on the way. I've been researching its accuracy and these alts in general. I think I got pretty lucky as it seems very accurate with the proper bronze layer and kiss cut. I just found all this super interesting and confusing at the same time. I saw this thread and thought i'd chime in. Maybe help someone figure out what they want or confuse them more lol. 

16 minutes ago, BennGuin1491 said:

Actually I purchased an Oates and its now on the way. I've been researching its accuracy and these alts in general. I think I got pretty lucky as it seems very accurate with the proper bronze layer and kiss cut. I just found all this super interesting and confusing at the same time. I saw this thread and thought i'd chime in. Maybe help someone figure out what they want or confuse them more lol. 

Cool.  Hope you enjoy the Oates.

I think I'm one of the few Caps fans who really like these black jerseys.  Some great players wore these jerseys.  Cheers!

Thanks, Ill post it here when It arrives and I get some decent pictures of it.

Honestly I love the style. Its very vintage and bold. The 90s were full of great gems like this. 

Do you happen to know the reason why the NHL snubbed the 25th anniversary patch for these alts? Ive read that they weren't approved so they made them remove them but doesn't really explain why or why they couldn't bring them back. 

7 minutes ago, BennGuin1491 said:

Thanks, Ill post it here when It arrives and I get some decent pictures of it.

Honestly I love the style. Its very vintage and bold. The 90s were full of great gems like this. 

Do you happen to know the reason why the NHL snubbed the 25th anniversary patch for these alts? Ive read that they weren't approved so they made them remove them but doesn't really explain why or why they couldn't bring them back. 

No, I've not heard anything.  It doesn't make much sense.  But this is the NHL, so..........