So much for a Hawks' Winter Classic jersey

mdwsta4

Somebody outbid me at the last minute for the Kane jersey. $6,325. haha! jk. I was trying to get the Sikura which closed at $1,233, but realistically had zero interest to spend over a grand. Was watching the lowest priced jerseys which all ended up going for more. Kampf $1,289, Forsling $1,286, Murphy $1,823, Hayden $1,703.  Kunitz seemed to have been the cheapest overall closing at $950 which I didn't win. The way NHL/Fanatics kept extending the auction time is f-in BS. 

Ah well. Saved a lot of money so that's good.

2 hours ago, furiousd said:

I was keeping an eye on them, too.  But when the lowest ones passed 600 a few days ago, I assumed I would need to bid at least 1000 to win.  Too much for me.

That was my threshold as well. $1000+ for another WC loss and a possible/probable strip isn't worth it. Not surprised though.

one a different note, anyone else here annoyed by the fact that they now need two of them rather than one? 

gotta have a WC patched one and a non patched one now for the 4 other games they are wearing em..... kinda wonder if they'll wear em again next season for a few games too....

7 hours ago, vadarx said:

one a different note, anyone else here annoyed by the fact that they now need two of them rather than one? 

gotta have a WC patched one and a non patched one now for the 4 other games they are wearing em..... kinda wonder if they'll wear em again next season for a few games too....

Nope. If I had both in front of me and cash wasn't an issue I'd still only get the non-WC jersey. I only need so many reminders of outdoor game losses. Unfortunately I'll never be able to afford either, so it works itself out.

5 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Nope. If I had both in front of me and cash wasn't an issue I'd still only get the non-WC jersey. I only need so many reminders of outdoor game losses. Unfortunately I'll never be able to afford either, so it works itself out.

then I would consider you a stronger individual than I, good sir!

gotta have them all.... 

cue chinpokomon theme....

1 minute ago, vadarx said:

then I would consider you a stronger individual than I, good sir!

gotta have them all.... 

cue chinpokomon theme....

Nah, I swore I wouldn't need more than a home and away when I started. 

Then the '17 WC happened. Needed that crest.

swore I wasn't really into the '09 WC style. Caved and finally bought one this year. 

"Wyatt, you're an oak." - said no one to me ever.

58 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Nah, I swore I wouldn't need more than a home and away when I started. 

Then the '17 WC happened. Needed that crest.

swore I wasn't really into the '09 WC style. Caved and finally bought one this year. 

"Wyatt, you're an oak." - said no one to me ever.

a terrible, terrible affliction it is.... 

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

Surely if y'all are talking about being completists, you own the Chrome, yes? 

No chrome, not a completist. Doubt I'll pick that up.

Although it IS a game they actually won and the numbers play to the Bears font...

Arent the numbers elongated similar to the Bears? Maybe I'm seeing things but they remind me of the thinner, longer font the bears use on front/back. 

I know it's not the same font but I think of Trubisky when I see Sharps jersey from that game.

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

Yeah, I could see a marketing guy taking credit for that.  I always assumed it was just because everyone else in the SS that year (except NJ, I guess?) wore big ol' numbers. 

I'm the sort of completist that has a Trubisky/Sharp SS, but only one of the original WC / 3rd, because I consider that one design.  If I ended up with this year's design, I'd prefer the WC because of where it was played. 

6 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Yeah, I could see a marketing guy taking credit for that.  I always assumed it was just because everyone else in the SS that year (except NJ, I guess?) wore big ol' numbers. 

Yeah Grumpy Uncle Lou wouldn't let us have any fun. 

3 minutes ago, redwingsdownunder said:

You haven't memorised the numbers, expiry and CCV? Oh, just me then......

lol, I have the debit card memorized but not the CC. I try not to use it too much...

funny that you say that though because my first thought was that I wished I had that one memorized too....

3 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

No chrome, not a completist. Doubt I'll pick that up.

Although it IS a game they actually won and the numbers play to the Bears font...

I dunno that they are Bears font, but yeah they made it a point that year to make the numbers on the back larger so they could be seen from farther away, iirc.... I kinda thought they did that for all of they that year?

They are not the Bears font, that is round, but all of the SS jerseys did have over sized numbers.  The font wasn't too much different than what they normally used other than it is taller; almost like they stretched it out.  The width of the numbers is basically the same.  They did have the weird diagonal sleeve stripes and the aligned the numbers with those stripes, so the numbers are also diagonal on the sleeves.  Bay far the worst of the Hawks special event games...but yes...I have one! 

2 hours ago, spudrock512 said:

They are not the Bears font, that is round, but all of the SS jerseys did have over sized numbers.  The font wasn't too much different than what they normally used other than it is taller; almost like they stretched it out.  The width of the numbers is basically the same.  They did have the weird diagonal sleeve stripes and the aligned the numbers with those stripes, so the numbers are also diagonal on the sleeves.  Bay far the worst of the Hawks special event games...but yes...I have one! 

what this guy said. ☝️

yeah, they tried to recreate the old black thirds with a twist and failed, imo. but at least we won the d@mn game!

6 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

Precisely why that's the only Hawks outdoor game jersey I own.

I could never do it, if my team has a jersey, I need to have it. Of course, we rarely do. Which is probably a good thing. 

Jerseys always go for crazy high prices at those auctions. But some buyers will sell those jerseys again, and they will be cheaper. I bought my Erixon Hawks WC 2015 jersey last month, and it was $1,000+ cheaper than the original final auction price :)