[Mail Day] Blackhawks 2019 Winter Classic Game Issued, Enjoy it Before I Strip It!

BreedStick

Picked up a Game Issued Manning jersey from the 2019 Winter Classic!  Obviously Manning was traded prior to the game so this is just a GI

Plan on stripping it (the WC patch, as well) and making it a Toews "alternate" instead!  Beauty of a jersey, glad to get my hands on one!

Pics here - https://imgur.com/a/3kpsImb

Hope you enjoy as much as I do!  Thanks!

Tony

I’d likely do the same (strip it). Not sure about the patch though. I agree it’s an eyesore but still. Are you stripping the fanatics patch too?

32 minutes ago, BreedStick said:

I’ll strip everything responsibly, Fanatics patch will come off, too!

Doing the same with my Leafs Stadium Series. Want that thing gone.

36 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

Also for the nameplate, see if you can just reuse the one on the jersey.

This is a good idea. Extra work to strip off the letters, but less work than trying to find a new one if the customizer can't supply one. 

There is no way CSL doesn't have the proper material since they're the ones that customize the Blackhawks jerseys. Don't see the point of wasting your time stripping individual letters from a friggin name plate!

Also, I've always been curious, do customizers not care about tampering with something that has been authenticated and what not by Fanatics? Especially if they originally did the custom job. Genuinely do not know.

58 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

Also, I've always been curious, do customizers not care about tampering with something that has been authenticated and what not by Fanatics? Especially if they originally did the custom job. Genuinely do not know.

No, they don't care, in my experience. 

Should have specified, meant specifically team customizers. 

It was kind of why i avoided the Leafs customizers since they for sure would have Adidas stuff (rather I just sent it to Keener to strip and reuse the plate + take out the eyesore of Fanatics patch).

2 hours ago, furiousd said:

Is it a given that the main customizer does the one-offs?  I'm asking, because I don't know. 

No but in this case CSL did them for the game (and the alternate set).

2 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

There is no way CSL doesn't have the proper material since they're the ones that customize the Blackhawks jerseys. Don't see the point of wasting your time stripping individual letters from a friggin name plate!

They may not use it, though. I couldn't get the stuff they use on ice for the Adidas jerseys on the ones I've given them.

2 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

1 minute ago, TheBZ said:

They may not use it, though. I couldn't get the stuff they use on ice for the Adidas jerseys on the ones I've given them.

Exactly my thoughts. Aren't they the same people who didn't have Edge material, or charged extra for it?

That doesn't surprise me. The Leafs guys charged extra for it as well ($10 iirc). I think a lot of places only have enough for the team, so try to avoid give out extra to the public.

25 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

That doesn't surprise me. The Leafs guys charged extra for it as well ($10 iirc). I think a lot of places only have enough for the team, so try to avoid give out extra to the public.

Right. Which is why keeping it to reuse makes sense if the customizer doesn't have it, like we said. 

I use EPS and I customize Devils jerseys, and I know they have red and white in both Edge and Adidas materials, so I never worry about stripping a nameplate. I did strip a red Edge one and sell it for $8 once, but it was a lot of work for no reward. But someone was happy to get it. 

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly my thoughts. Aren't they the same people who didn't have Edge material, or charged extra for it?

Yeah they ran out of white edge material a while ago. Not sure about red. And yeahhh I think it was $5 or $10, can't remember anymore. 

I'll shoot CSL an email to see if they have the on-ice adidas material they use for the nameplate, to this point I haven't stripped the nameplate and will avoid doing so at all costs, time consuming, it has adhesive on the back (though, the plate did strip from the jersey really well)

Overall the strip went well, I'm going to have Kane with the "A" added to the jersey so it should cover up just about everything that remains on the jersey.  Bonus, Kane wears a 56 indoor!   Proof of Kane with "A" - https://imgur.com/AAi4y6I

The felt material is extremely fragile and CSL used just enough adhesive that it ripped quite a when stripping.  Acetone helped a bit but some areas were just a burden and the numbers simply ripped near where they were stitched to the jersey.  The patch residue came out really well with a bit of acetone and a scrub with a washcloth! (not pictured since I scrubbed it)

Updated photos in the back end of this imgur album - https://imgur.com/a/3kpsImb

I'll keep the album updated with progress :)

Edited by BreedStick
More details

From what I read he has body and sleeves shortened,
I wouldn't do it, seems like a LOT of work and they're beautiful jerseys

On 2/21/2019 at 12:05 AM, TheBZ said:

Yeah they ran out of white edge material a while ago. Not sure about red. And yeahhh I think it was $5 or $10, can't remember anymore. 

I think it was the opposite. They ran out of red edge, but had white. At least when I sent them some kits this past fall. And yes, they charge extra for edge nameplates vs air knit, but I thought EPS did the same. 

EPS does not charge extra for Edge nameplates. Proper material nameplate has always been provided with the exception of one 2002 All Star, which they used the closest they had for. 

Edited by mfitz804