Game Issued vs. Authentic Jerseys

spudrock512

I did a quick check and didn't see a topic directly about this, but I know it has been talked about.

I just wanted to see everyone general opinion between the two in a general value side of things.  Would a jersey that was produced by the team for use for a player be more collectible/valuable then a standard authentic jersey?  I would assume if it was the exact same player, the answer would be yes. But what if it was a game issued jersey for a fringe NHLer in comparison to a star player authentic?  As a Hawks fan, I am just use this as an example; these are not actual jerseys which I have or could obtain: a game issued Carl Dahlstrom Game Issued jersey vs. a Patrick Kane Authentic Jersey. Would there be a difference if the jersey was from a specialty game (Winter Classic/Stadium Series/Stanley Cup)?  Or is the general consensus an issued jersey basically the same an an authentic jersey until it is actually used in a game.

In my eyes, a game issued jersey is just a jersey that was properly customized by the team’s customizer. So, it shouldn’t hold any more value than that. But, people like to think they have more value because they were in the team's possession. 

So, to me, I wouldn’t pay (or try to sell) a GI jersey for any more than I could get for that exact jersey if I had bought it blank and sent it to the team’s customizer myself. 

The only exception (to me) would be a backup goalie’s jersey that never saw game action. Since those were worn during warmups and when sitting on the bench I would think they would command a higher price. 

If I have it - it's worth more
If I'm looking to buy it, it's worth the same as a retail authentic :lol:

Which would I rather own, I'd rather have a team issued.
How much more would I be willing to spend.... probably not much, unless it's the exact size the player wore and done up by the team, then I could see it being worth a little more.  

To each their own I guess, if it make you feel better about it then that's they way to go 

Makes zero difference to me. The only actual difference is the reinforced fight strap which doesn't add any value (to me). The necktag can easily be removed on Reebok era jerseys if you wanted to match the look of a TI.

No difference to me if we're talking GI vs TI with proper customization.  Because from a value perspective, only collectors pay attention, and none of you would pay more if I was selling one vs the other.

Id rather have a CSL customized star player TI/Authentic than a GI bottom role player even if price is equal. 

7 hours ago, spudrock512 said:

But what if it was a game issued jersey for a fringe NHLer in comparison to a star player authentic? 

I realized a while back that I heavily favored star authentics over no-game GI's.  Honestly, it even influenced my decision not to grab the most recent Hawks WC.  I just knew I wouldn't like having a nobody on that jersey, and paying a grand for the privilege would have made it so much worse.

I'd still put the GI over the authentic no matter whose name is on it. Even though we've recently seen a replica used as a gamer, a GI is still intended to be used on-ice. An authentic isn't. The scale goes replica-authentic-TI-GI-GW.

I'm also the kind of person who won't strip a GI/GW ever. Even if it's a no-name player and it was only used in training camp, it shouldn't be altered.

Nope, no difference. I wouldn’t pay extra for a GI/TI than a regular authentic. The fact that the team had them and never used them is irrelevant to me. Especially where, with the Reebok Edge especially, team issued blanks are everywhere and you can get them done by the team customizer. I'm also the kind of person who won't strip a GI/GW ever. Even if it's a no-name player and it was only used in training camp, it shouldn't be altered.

Of course, the Adidas issues with the whole “not so authentic” Indonesian Authentics adds a different wrinkle, those are obviously inferior. 

15 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

I'm also the kind of person who won't strip a GI/GW ever. Even if it's a no-name player and it was only used in training camp, it shouldn't be altered.

I strip the sh!t out of those all the time and I feel nothing. 

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I strip the sh!t out of those all the time and I feel nothing. 

I'm with you, especially with Adidas not selling MIC authentic jerseys at retail. I'm going to be in Vancouver next month, likely to pic up a gamer depending on how 56 fits me and I will feel no shame whatsoever stripping it. Just goes without saying to also remove any tagging that identifies it as game worn.

16 hours ago, furiousd said:

Honestly, it even influenced my decision not to grab the most recent Hawks WC.  I just knew I wouldn't like having a nobody on that jersey, and paying a grand for the privilege would have made it so much worse.

It was a tough pill to swallow, but the quality of Adidas retail 'authentics' is so bad and that jersey was so awesome, there wasn't much of a choice. Really glad I picked one up now.

16 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

a GI is still intended to be used on-ice. An authentic isn't. The scale goes replica-authentic-TI-GI-GW.

Eh. Aside from the reinforced fight strap (new since Reebok) or player specific customizations, there's no difference between authentic and on-ice jerseys. Unless you collect gamers, it shouldn't matter since neither were actually worn by the player.

And yes, I get I'm trying to justify our individual collector habits which in reality make zero sense to anyone outside of the hobby. LOL!

On 5/22/2019 at 12:32 AM, TheKevinShow said:

I'd still put the GI over the authentic no matter whose name is on it. Even though we've recently seen a replica used as a gamer, a GI is still intended to be used on-ice. An authentic isn't. The scale goes replica-authentic-TI-GI-GW.

Agreed. For instance, I have a Darcy Hordichuk Oilers GI that was prepared for him to wear during the Battle Of Alberta, but he got injured right before this game. The jersey was fully prepared for him, which included a second fight strap. No second fight straps on authentics! ;) In general, it's like you said it: GI was supposed to be worn on ice by that player. I'm a always surprised that authentics cost a lot more than GIs with COA.

47 minutes ago, amonte78 said:

Agreed. For instance, I have a Darcy Hordichuk Oilers GI that was prepared for him to wear during the Battle Of Alberta, but he got injured right before this game. The jersey was fully prepared for him, which included a second fight strap. No second fight straps on authentics! ;) In general, it's like you said it: GI was supposed to be worn on ice by that player. I'm a always surprised that authentics cost a lot more than GIs with COA.

So, it's a jersey foul then?

i-keed-i-keed.jpg

10 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

TWSS

Close, but you didn’t get it quite right. 

Now that, my friend, is what she said.