How to Remove Autographs from Jerseys

I have developed a process to remove autographs from jersey, and I have had some really good success with it.  I also have use this method to remove puck marks on jerseys as well.  What you will need:

• Amodex - works really well to get the Sharpie to release from the jersey
  • Clorox Bleach Pen (Only on a White Jersey - it will ruin color jerseys!)
  • Acetone - Needed to move the remaining residue from the jersey
  • Towel
  • Rag (I used old white undershirts)

BC

Here is how the jersey looked before I started to work on it.  This is an Ultrafil Hawks jersey and my guess is the autograph is from the early 90's so it has been set in the jersey for a long time.  Not sure who the autograph is, and I guess it doesn't matter as I personally am not a big fan of autographs.  This jersey is in mint condition so I want to get this removed for customization.

A

When getting started, you need to use the towel between the jersey - the Amodex will activate the Sharpie and will bleed through the jersey.  The towel will catch this.  Fold the towel at least a couple times.  I have had the Sharpie good through the towel when I did not fold it once.  The couple of layers will make sure you don't have to repeat the process on the other side.  Use your fingernail to dig the gel into the Sharpie.  This is time consuming and is a slow process. Use your rag to remove the marker as it comes off. Once I go over the entire Autograph and remove a good amount of the marker, I will flip the jersey inside out, and repeat the process.

D

Since this is a white jersey, next I use the Clorox Bleach Pen.  Again, this is only for White jersey and make sure you avoid any color areas on the jersey.  If you get this on the color part of the jersey, it will bleach that area and you will ruin the jersey.  I basically do the same process as before using your fingernail to get into all the areas the autograph is on.  If this was a color jersey, I would just continue with the Amodex.

E

Once I get a good amount of the jersey off, I go to the trusty Acetone to remove any remaining residue.  For those that use Acetone to remove poor customization, it is the same basic idea.  I would have probably use more Acetone than I did, but I ran out - on to the hardware store to get more.

F

At this point, I use my typical cleaning process for any jersey used I get/needs to be cleaned

• Soak in Oxyclean
  • Wash with light amount of detergent and Oxyclean on Delicate Cycle, cold wash/cold rinse, lowest spin cycle, hang to dry

Here is the final result:

G

As you can see, there is still a very faint indication, but much better than before.  And if I hadn't run out of Acetone, it would have been perfect.  In this case, whatever is left over is going to be covered by a nameplate, so I am happy with the result.  As I mention, this also work on a puck marks that I tried it on.  Here is a jersey that I used it on - before from The Dude before I got the jersey from him, the second picture the end result.

20180228_213103_zpspdttmjdu1991-92 Gary Leeman Toronto Maple Leafs Home Jersey Front

Pretty sure that was a Steve Larmer autograph 

This is an awesome and detailed thread. 
I've never even heard of Amodex. 

Thank you 

3 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Pretty sure that was a Steve Larmer autograph 

This is an awesome and detailed thread. 
I've never even heard of Amodex. 

Thank you 

I thought the same thing. 

I recently used Amodex to get ink off a fabric chair at work, honestly it worked like a miracle. That was regular pen ink. 

• 1 month later...

Could this be applied to get rid of autographs on numbers or is this strickly for autographs on the jersey itself?

• 2 months later...

Really appreciate this guide you put together.  Some thoughts on my process (which I should have documented with before photos, but just wanted to get to work!)

I'm working on a stained and autographed minor league HiLi white Ice Sheen jersey from the early 90s.  The only thing I could compare that material to is a tarp, but it looked cool as hell on the ice at the time.  I'd say the autographs, and stains, are at least 25 years old.

- The Amodex works, but takes a lot of time as you said.  The first autograph I worked on actually came all the way out after scrubbing in the Amodex using a toothbrush.  I tried "digging in" with a fingernail as was advised, but I found the toothbrush to be a lot more effective.  Other autographs on the jersey have been a lot tougher, which is where the Clorox bleach pen is helping.

- You really need to do both sides of the jersey for maximum removal.

- Where the Amodex really makes a difference is removing non-Sharpie stains.  I was able to brush old stains right out, and see it work in real time.

- I had acetone and goof-off available for use, but never went to either product.

- I can really only work a few hours at a time on this removal project, so I did, and then did an Oxiclean wash and air dry.  The part of the jersey I worked on is not completely clean yet, but it is definitely in better shape.  The Oxiclean brought a lot of life back to the jersey by itself.  Another pass of the Amodex and bleach pen on the first part I worked on should totally remove those autographs.  Then I'll start the process again on the other autographs.

I have no idea how this project will ultimately turn out, but I went from having an autograph and stain-ruined jersey, to one that is on its way to a second life.  I'm not sure how much easier this is on ultrafil or air-knit, but it's slowly working so far on an off-the-wall material.  It's going to be a long haul, but I feel confident of the initial pass enough to keep at it.

Sounds awesome, those IceSheen are really cool, you're right just like a tarp.  Good luck on the project, sounds like its headed in the right direction!

Ok, 
I have a new challenge, and before I try anything I figured I'd put it out there. . 
Who has some tips for getting silver paint pen signatures out of a jersey? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/London-Knights-Game-worn-jersey-NNOB-Halasz/254384286344?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• 3 weeks later...

Goof off worked just fine on the paint auto's 

What I do NOT suggest 

I stripped a Blues Vintage from 2003-04 and under the name plate was a gooey adhesive they used to hold the name plate 
I tried Goo-Gone and it left greasy shadows all over 
Going back to goof off 😐

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Evil Pirate Zamboni said:

Which would be better for removing autographs do you think?  The VLR or the Amodex process outlined by Spudrock512 in the "How to" section?

I moved this reply here so we didnt keep going interfering with the new arrival thread.

I know VLR does attack sharpie marker but I dont know which method would be better. If too aggressive with VLR, I believe it could damage the color in a jersey, so I would be careful in that respect. No matter the method, in order to be most effective, you have to be able to attack the auto from both sides of the fabric.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Van67 said:

Can sharpie be successfully removed from the twill of a front logo on an early 90's ultrafil jersey? 

If sharpie can be removed from twill, I haven't heard of how to 
Hopefully it's on a number that could be swapped out 

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

If sharpie can be removed from twill, I haven't heard of how to 
Hopefully it's on a number that could be swapped out 

The autograph is right in the middle of the front logo.. It's stopping me from bidding on the jersey unless I get solid guidance in the next two days that it can be removed successfully. Not hopeful so far.

I tried unsuccessfully to remove them from a Devils crest. It had a couple signatures. One on the white single layer and two on the triple layer red. I tried multiple applications of amodex, oxiclean, VLR, and acetone and was not able to completely remove the sharpie sigs. One of the sigs was a pen and that removed very easily on the first application. I then stripped the crest so I could attack the signatures from the front and back and was able to get the sig from the single layer completely out but since I couldnt get to the back of the triple layer, those other sigs never went away completely.

Moral of the story, if you can get to the front and back of the sig, then you could be successful after a lot of work. If only one side, you will probably have a tough time and be unsuccessful. 

55 minutes ago, Crash Line said:

I tried unsuccessfully to remove them from a Devils crest.

This era? I bought one just in case I find one with a jacked up crest, it's the same size but there are some slight differences 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Jersey-Devils-Vintage-Logo-Full-Size-For-Jersey-Tackle-Twill-Brodeur/202440344963?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2 minutes ago, Van67 said:

This is the jersey I had my eye on. After the various pieces of advice from a few sources, I'm not bidding. Not worth the trouble for more of an impulse than anything... and I would kinda rather a white one anyway. 

That's a cool jersey but a tough call. 
Unless you got a stimulus check and wanna blow it on a 50/50 shot it's probably best to avoid 

21 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

That's a cool jersey but a tough call. 
Unless you got a stimulus check and wanna blow it on a 50/50 shot it's probably best to avoid 

I actually did get the British Columbia version of a stimulus cheque... but mine wasn't very much because my 2019 earnings were too high for the maximum amount. If I wasn't lucky enough to be working at home this whole pandemic, with some overtime which actually made 2020 a lucrative year for me (by previous lower earnings standards anyway lol), I would be asking the provincial government why the amount is based on earnings before the pandemic started. 

But alas, I've decided to avoid. More out there to be sought. 

Edited by Van67

26 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

This era? I bought one just in case I find one with a jacked up crest, it's the same size but there are some slight differences 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Jersey-Devils-Vintage-Logo-Full-Size-For-Jersey-Tackle-Twill-Brodeur/202440344963?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Yeah it was that era. I actually wound up contacting customize-sports and sent in some pictures and measurements and they were able to make an almost exact replacement.  There are 1 or 2 minor details that are different and I had to stitch it together but I am much happier with the finished product. Also, was much more expensive than the one you listed.

Here are the two crests: https://imgur.com/a/UK4Vwd4

1 minute ago, Crash Line said:

There are 1 or 2 minor details that are different and I had to stitch it together but I am much happier with the finished product. Also, was much more expensive than the one you listed.

Yours is way closer, the one on eBay had some obvious differences, one that comes to mind is the horns were pitched a little different / or closer together 
Curious, for those that collect gamers: Were there ever variations in the crests? 
I know the pin head Blackhawks were done by hand and there were a ton of variations  

• 1 year later...

Bringing back from the dead... got a jersey with a signature that I wanted to remove since I'm not a signature person. Used a combination of Amodex and VLR. Worked out just fine! Thanks for the pointers. Now the rest of the jersey.... that's still a mess I'm trying to clean up

1667601131326-vi.jpg

No clue whose signature it was. Looks like a B, maybe Bill? And number 10? This jersey is from the late 80’s so that doesn’t line up with anyone