what happened to guam?

tomtucker

12 minutes ago, tomtucker said:

our number 1 jagr fan?

lol

When Jagr retired, they got married and he now they have matching mullets and live in the Czech Republic. 

5 minutes ago, tomtucker said:

😅😆

but seriously, why did/does he hate jagr ??  

Someone may know, but it predates my time here.

1 hour ago, tomtucker said:

😅😆

but seriously, why did/does he hate jagr ??  

Pretty sure Guam's a Caps fan.  Nuff said.

32 minutes ago, tomtucker said:
2001–02 Washington Capitals NHL 69 31 48 79            
2002–03 Washington Capitals NHL 75  36 41 77

not to bad....... seems like the caps needed a scapegoat

Yeah, it's complicated.   There was a huge perception of lack of effort and bad attitude.  And it was a weird Caps era.........post SCF and pre rebuild.  Plus the Bruce Cassidy thing.  It was a bad stew of crap.  (BTW, I'm a Caps Jagr hater, but some of it I feel is unfair due to the fact that it was prime NHL clutch-and-grab era and he didn't have a lot of help).

Either way, I think that most Caps fans, including me and (probably Guam), found that whole thing (and the contract) a bad situation.

(Deep fun fact.........I had brain surgury on 7/11/2001, the date of the Jagr to Washington trade.  One of the first things that my wife said to me in recovery at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu was that the Caps traded for Jagr.  It was surreal.)

Edited by LetsGoCaps

4 hours ago, LetsGoCaps said:

Deep fun fact.........I had brain surgury on 7/11/2001, the date of the Jagr to Washington trade.  One of the first things that my wife said to me in recovery at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu was that the Caps traded for Jagr.  It was surreal.

She knew what was important to you. You married the right one. 

9 hours ago, LetsGoCaps said:

Yeah, it's complicated.   There was a huge perception of lack of effort and bad attitude.  And it was a weird Caps era.........post SCF and pre rebuild.  Plus the Bruce Cassidy thing.  It was a bad stew of crap.  (BTW, I'm a Caps Jagr hater, but some of it I feel is unfair due to the fact that it was prime NHL clutch-and-grab era and he didn't have a lot of help).

Either way, I think that most Caps fans, including me and (probably Guam), found that whole thing (and the contract) a bad situation.

(Deep fun fact.........I had brain surgury on 7/11/2001, the date of the Jagr to Washington trade.  One of the first things that my wife said to me in recovery at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu was that the Caps traded for Jagr.  It was surreal.)

You should have yelled;  "Doctor, you fuc-ked up, now i am hearing things !!" 😄

joking aside, the caps jersey were great back then, they might come back as retro now ! look at blues and kings!

btw, did jagr ever wear the white eagle jersey ?

Edited by tomtucker

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

She knew what was important to you. You married the right one. 

think it was more like to cheer him up....... if someone is sick, tell him/her something positive and new about their hobby.

unless it's a cancer stricken smoker.... the news of a new marlboro flavor will not help , ehh at least i think

Edited by tomtucker

22 minutes ago, tomtucker said:

think it was more like to cheer him up....... if someone is sick, tell him/her something positive and new about their hobby.

unless it's a cancer stricken smoker.... the news of a new marlboro flavor will not help , ehh at least i think

You don't have sarcasm where you're from, do you?

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You don't have sarcasm where you're from, do you?

Yeah, that was the last thing I wanted to hear.  Jagr?  From the Pens?  You gotta be kidding!

10 minutes ago, LetsGoCaps said:

Yeah, that was the last thing I wanted to hear.  Jagr?  From the Pens?  You gotta be kidding!

well... i don't get it.

I hate the rangers but i would have no problem if they got Kovalev  over to the devils back then.

Edited by tomtucker

1 minute ago, tomtucker said:

well... i don't get it.

I hate the rangers but i would have no problem if they got Kovalev  over to the devils back then.

Probably more of a hindsight thing now, the way things turned out.  The Caps really didn't give up anything in the trade.  It just turned out really bad between his attitude/effort and the 7 year/$77 million contract that became a real albatross.

3 minutes ago, LetsGoCaps said:

Probably more of a hindsight thing now, the way things turned out.  The Caps really didn't give up anything in the trade.  It just turned out really bad between his attitude/effort and the 7 year/$77 million contract that became a real albatross.

i see 🙂

I think the parts in bold explain why.....especially when you compare seasons before joining the Caps to seasons after leaving the Caps.....and add to that his massive salary at the time....they were expecting at least on par production.

1997-98 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 77 35 67 102 64 17 6 4 5 9 2 - points per game: 1.32
1998-99 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 81 44 83 127 66 17 9 5 7 12 16 - points per game: 1.56
1999-00 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 63 42 54 96 50 25 11 8 8 16 6 - points per game: 1.52
2000-01 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 81 52 69 121 42 19 16 2 10 12 18 - points per game: 1.49
2001-02 Washington Capitals NHL 69 31 48 79 30 0 -- -- -- -- -- - points per game: 1.14
2002-03 Washington Capitals NHL 75 36 41 77 38 5 6 2 5 7 2 - points per game: 1.02
2003-04 Washington Capitals NHL 46 16 29 45 26 -4 -- -- -- -- -- - points per game: 0.96
2003-04 New York Rangers NHL 31 15 14 29 12 -1 -- -- -- -- --

2005-06 New York Rangers NHL 82 54 69 123 72 34 3 0 1 1

2 - points per game: 1.50

23 minutes ago, HockeyMusic said:

I think the parts in bold explain why.....especially when you compare seasons before joining the Caps to seasons after leaving the Caps.....and add to that his massive salary at the time....they were expecting at least on par production.

Pretty immediate drop-off, and with the exception of one anomaly season with the Rangers, he never topped 100 points again. 

On 9/17/2019 at 1:24 PM, LetsGoCaps said:

Didn't really give up anything?  They gave up absolute garbage.  3 guys that tallied 33 points in 136 games. 😂

I'd say even with a points drop-off for Jagr, you guys definitely more than made out in the deal (purely from a you gave up nothing to land an elite-level player).  Looking back, both sides probably did considering the state of the Pens at the time.

Edited by blurryhaze312

1 minute ago, blurryhaze312 said:

Didn't really give up anything?  They gave up absolute garbage.  3 guys that tallied 33 points in 136 games. 😂

I'd say even with a points drop-off for Jagr, you guys definitely more than made out in the deal.  Looking back, both sides probably did considering the state of the Pens at the time.

Absolutely right. They absolutely stole a Hall of Famer for a bag of pucks. And their fans were salty it wasn’t MORE of a steal. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Absolutely right. They absolutely stole a Hall of Famer for a bag of pucks. And their fans were salty it wasn’t MORE of a steal. 

And...............he was still a bum in DC. 

He's a first ballot HOF'er, no doubt.  But in DC, he was a dog, management sucked, it was ugly.  It was no steal for the franchise................unless you draw the line to, that eventually, that era got the Caps Ovechkin.

What happened to Guam?