The New Jerseys

lafountain

Number two, I started thinking about something today. I was at the Indians/Tigers game this afternoon (I cleared my schedule). In the program there is an ad for New Era. They make all on-field MLB and minor league caps, also some NHL stuff. Well this season they took their classic 5950 cap that for years was made of wool and went to a new type of material that's cooler, doesn't hold moisture, lighter, sound familiar? Well did they make the teams change their styles? Did they suddenly mandate ear flaps or other radical designs? Do the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/Cubs/Tribe, etc look the same? My point is the teams didn't have to change their styles because of this "state of the art" material. It's all BS to sell more merchandise. I applaud the Devils, Habs, Rangers and Hawks who left well enough alone (Sabres and Ducks don't count). Maybe some people will say that you can't compare a cap to a hockey jersey. But MLB teams sell more caps than anything else, it's their identity, and NHL teams sell more jerseys than anything else, it's THEIR identity. And this Premier replica is not a hockey jersey, IMO. I own 2 of them. Replica hockey jerseys have had twill patches on the shoulders for as long as I have been buying them (20 years). They always had solid bottom hems, not football-style side slashes, and never had sewn-on exterior tags, except for some vintage styles. Reebok is turning hockey jerseys into football jerseys. What's next, painted on numbers and stripes?

Sorry, I just had to get this off my chest.

I agree, why can't you have state of the art material without doing a complete overhaul of how most of the teams look?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number two, I started thinking about something today. I was at the Indians/Tigers game this afternoon (I cleared my schedule). In the program there is an ad for New Era. They make all on-field MLB and minor league caps, also some NHL stuff. Well this season they took their classic 5950 cap that for years was made of wool and went to a new type of material that's cooler, doesn't hold moisture, lighter, sound familiar? Well did they make the teams change their styles? Did they suddenly mandate ear flaps or other radical designs? Do the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/Cubs/Tribe, etc look the same? My point is the teams didn't have to change their styles because of this "state of the art" material. It's all BS to sell more merchandise. I applaud the Devils, Habs, Rangers and Hawks who left well enough alone (Sabres and Ducks don't count). Maybe some people will say that you can't compare a cap to a hockey jersey. But MLB teams sell more caps than anything else, it's their identity, and NHL teams sell more jerseys than anything else, it's THEIR identity. And this Premier replica is not a hockey jersey, IMO. I own 2 of them. Replica hockey jerseys have had twill patches on the shoulders for as long as I have been buying them (20 years). They always had solid bottom hems, not football-style side slashes, and never had sewn-on exterior tags, except for some vintage styles. Reebok is turning hockey jerseys into football jerseys. What's next, painted on numbers and stripes?

Sorry, I just had to get this off my chest.

Good post. The fact that Reebok is trying to make NHL jerseys into long-sleeved football jerseys has annoyed the hell out of me as well. Good to know I'm not the only one who realizes this.

I noticed that this site as well as others (including shop.nhl.com) shows images of all the jerseys but the Rangers jersey. Anyone got a clue or perhaps an official word as to why the Rangers jersey is not having its image shown yet.

Actually, they decided to wait to make the official unveiling of their jersey at their first preseason game tonight (Friday). We will have the pics up probably on monday if not the weekend.

Actually, I've heard from many sources that Reebok didn't mandate that any team changes styles and certainly didn't force anything on any team. How else can newer teams like the Devils not be changing? Most teams wanted a slight alteration to push more jerseys and because this was a good time to do so. Reebok also didn't design any of the new jerseys unless they were asked to. I know that here in Calgary the Flames did their jersey entirely by themselves.

Actually, I've heard from many sources that Reebok didn't mandate that any team changes styles and certainly didn't force anything on any team. How else can newer teams like the Devils not be changing? Most teams wanted a slight alteration to push more jerseys and because this was a good time to do so. Reebok also didn't design any of the new jerseys unless they were asked to. I know that here in Calgary the Flames did their jersey entirely by themselves.

Teams didn't have to change, but did only for the $$$$. Reebok is not entirely blameless, however. It has been widely reported that they told the NFL that teams should change logos/jerseys every 3-5 years to maximize merchandising revenues, IIRC. At the end of the day, that's what it's all about. They can hide behind the "lighter, cooler, less drag, fits equipment better, etc" excuses, but it is not the real truth. Here's an example. A few years back, my brother worked as a merchandising manager for the Cleveland Browns. Reebok pressured the Browns to use a "third" jersey, orange. After resistance, the team relented. The used it for one or two games, it was badly received and sold poorly, and was discontinued. But the team didn't want to use it, the league and Reebok "forced" it down their throats. That, IMO, is exactly what Reebok has done to the NHL with the Edge project. I would just about guarantee anyone that while teams did not have to change, it was highly recommended that they do, from RBK and the NHL. Why is it now that the NHL is finally opening it's own retail store in NYC? So they can sell pucks?

BTW: Didn't Reebok make all CFL teams change thier jerseys before last season?

Teams didn't have to change, but did only for the $$$$. Reebok is not entirely blameless, however. It has been widely reported that they told the NFL that teams should change logos/jerseys every 3-5 years to maximize merchandising revenues, IIRC. At the end of the day, that's what it's all about. They can hide behind the "lighter, cooler, less drag, fits equipment better, etc" excuses, but it is not the real truth. Here's an example. A few years back, my brother worked as a merchandising manager for the Cleveland Browns. Reebok pressured the Browns to use a "third" jersey, orange. After resistance, the team relented. The used it for one or two games, it was badly received and sold poorly, and was discontinued. But the team didn't want to use it, the league and Reebok "forced" it down their throats. That, IMO, is exactly what Reebok has done to the NHL with the Edge project. I would just about guarantee anyone that while teams did not have to change, it was highly recommended that they do, from RBK and the NHL. Why is it now that the NHL is finally opening it's own retail store in NYC? So they can sell pucks?

BTW: Didn't Reebok make all CFL teams change thier jerseys before last season?

Very valid point. I think Reebok are like those office supply people that knock on business doors looking to solicit new office products (you know that new photocopier/fax/scanner/and back massager all in one). SOme of it might be good but most of it is a bunch of horsecrap. And the suits that run each NHL team are sitting and listening to this jargon and most buy into it because they are promised it will result in financial health...and it probably will because people tend to buy the 'newest' product right?

Just an FYI, I was at the local jersey shop and they had almost all 30 teams' home jersey. I was considering getting the Flames white. Not going to do it. I spent some time looking over the replicas and the material doesn't bother me as much the shoulder crests (feel like rubber), front logo feels cheap I just look at the jersey and it looks like...a fake.

I am getting an Authentic, looking at the Bruins, Caps, Coyotes White, or Islanders (yes this one has grown on me). But I think I'll wait until people give more opinions and thoughts on the jerseys.

For me the two things that bother me most are the sewn-on jock tag and the side slits. Hockey jerseys are not to be worn tucked in, like basketball, football, and baseball jerseys (the Great One notwithstanding). RBK is driving hockey jerseys down the NFL-replica road.

How long is it before they introduce a new replithentic type hockey jersey? I could see that happening. From the pictures I've seen of the customized replicas, they look cheap. Still holding out to see what I think in person though.

Good point- does anyone on this board have a new jersey- either auth or replica? How are they?

Good point- does anyone on this board have a new jersey- either auth or replica? How are they?

I know of two on this board. One Authentic and one replica. Both are quite happy with their purchases.

I may seem like the biggest complainer, but I do have 2 of the Premiers (CBJ H&A). It was strictly a price/quantity issue.

So what do you think of them? When I first saw the Jackets new jerseys I thought they were incredibly boring...now compared to the rest in the league I think they are pretty good.

As for the overall design, I like them. It's not too busy or too bland. Just right, IMO. However, I miss the CBJ logo. I guess I must be one of the few. The star/flag logo is OK, but not great.

If you guys remember when they introduced the third jersey in 2003-04, they wore 5 different jerseys for their first 5 games.

1. White w/Stinger patches

2. Blue w/Stinger patches

3. Third

4. Blue w/Flag and hat patches

5. White w/Flag and hat patches

As for the overall design, I like them. It's not too busy or too bland. Just right, IMO. However, I miss the CBJ logo. I guess I must be one of the few. The star/flag logo is OK, but not great.

If you guys remember when they introduced the third jersey in 2003-04, they wore 5 different jerseys for their first 5 games.

1. White w/Stinger patches

2. Blue w/Stinger patches

3. Third

4. Blue w/Flag and hat patches

5. White w/Flag and hat patches

I was expecting Stinger to be the main logo on the front of the jersey when the Blue Jackets came into the league. Is he still their mascot? The neon green was an interesting complement to the red, white, and blue.

I was expecting Stinger to be the main logo on the front of the jersey when the Blue Jackets came into the league. Is he still their mascot? The neon green was an interesting complement to the red, white, and blue.

Yes, he's still around, at least he was at the draft.

I posted this almost two weeks ago!!!

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?s=&...post&p=8112

DR- sorry I forgot about that. A follow up question- has anyone played hockey in these jerseys? Do they pool sweat in your gloves like some news reports have suggested? I am interested in getting the new Flames jersey and wearing it to play ice hockey but I don't want to be uncomfortable playing (it is uncomfortable enough to watch me play).

I was watching the Longest Yard on TV today and noticed something about the Mean Machine jerseys.

7637_1164349869.jpg

That template look somewhat familiar to anyone?

So I got a chance to see the new replicas firsthand and try them on. I tried on a Sabres jersey. Just Sports at Westgate had about a dozen different teams. I liked the overall fit of the XXL and it seemed like it was still loose around the body, but the sleeves were a little smaller than I normally care for. I like to have the space in the sleeves especially when it comes to wearing one over a sweatshirt or hoody. The material itself concerns me, it felt like a heavier NFL replica really and I'm still concerned about the picking aspect of the jersey. The shoulder patches for some reason don't concern me quite like I thought they would originally.

Man, I do take back everything I said about the Islanders jersey though. Seeing how it looked in person really changed my overall opinion of the style. It looks good in person and from what I've seen in game pictures, looks sharp in action. I have to admit, I'm actually thinking about getting one now...

I stick with my original assessment of the Sharks jersey, it looks good as well in person, but that Islanders jersey...sharp.