What year did the Devils stop wearing Ultrafil?

iatearockfromthemoon

There’s some confusion about this, if I recall. There are better historians that will be able to explain it better, but by the 1995 Cup finals, at least some, if not all players, were already wearing Airknit jerseys.

I recall being surprised when I learned this, when Ken Daneyko’s son appeared at a game to sing the National Anthem wearing what I assume is his dad’s ‘95 Cup Finals game worn, and clear as day, it was airknit. I’ve also seen Marty’s, airknit as well. 

Cue Devilsguy, he can fill in the blanks on this. 

12 hours ago, iatearockfromthemoon said:

Just as the title states, trying to learn a bit of history. I have a white Ultrafil but not sure if it's appropriate to add a 95 Cup patch to it or not. Any help and player suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!

Edit: 1995-1996??

IIRC, due to the NHL lockout, the Devils wore a bit of a mix of Ultrafils and Air-knits in the 95 finals.  However, if my memory serves me right, most Devils wore ultrafil through the first set of the 95-96 season and then switched over to Air-Knit.

Edit: Looking at pictures from the 95 finals it looks like a majority were indeed wearing Air-Knits.  However, some ultrafils from 94-95 were recycled to the set 1's in 95-96 season.

Edited by Devilsguy
Revision/Clarification

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

There’s some confusion about this, if I recall. There are better historians that will be able to explain it better, but by the 1995 Cup finals, at least some, if not all players, were already wearing Airknit jerseys.

I recall being surprised when I learned this, when Ken Daneyko’s son appeared at a game to sing the National Anthem wearing what I assume is his dad’s ‘95 Cup Finals game worn, and clear as day, it was airknit. I’ve also seen Marty’s, airknit as well. 

Cue Devilsguy, he can fill in the blanks on this. 

Thanks!  I know some stuff, but I don't claim to be the most or experienced knowledgeable Devils collector out there.  However, I know to some that title is extremely important to them so by all means they can lay claim to that title.

I just like collecting jerseys.

Why are you morons going down this road again?

You don't like each other, you have differences of opinions, you seem to enjoy playing semantics....to what end?

Just stick to the facts and stop going after one another all the time...if you have conflicting information, provide your experience or sources to back up the info and have a constructive discussion about the topic at hand.

Please stop being jerks to one another for no reason.

I've taken down the posts that don't help anyone. Next post that doesn't contribute to the discussion in a positive manner will earn the poster a time out :D

2 hours ago, slimcutta said:

Why are you morons going down this road again?

You don't like each other, you have differences of opinions, you seem to enjoy playing semantics....to what end?

Just stick to the facts and stop going after one another all the time...if you have conflicting information, provide your experience or sources to back up the info and have a constructive discussion about the topic at hand.

Please stop being jerks to one another for no reason.

I've taken down the posts that don't help anyone. Next post that doesn't contribute to the discussion in a positive manner will earn the poster a time out :D

Wow! Quarantine is bringing everyone back to IceJerseys!😆

6 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

Wow! Quarantine is bringing everyone back to IceJerseys!😆

I never left. I could never leave you, big boy. ;) 

15 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

IIRC, due to the NHL lockout, the Devils wore a bit of a mix of Ultrafils and Air-knits in the 95 finals.  However, if my memory serves me right, most Devils wore ultrafil through the first set of the 95-96 season and then switched over to Air-Knit.

Edit: Looking at pictures from the 95 finals it looks like a majority were indeed wearing Air-Knits.  However, some ultrafils from 94-95 were recycled to the set 1's in 95-96 season.

So it wouldn't be totally inappropriate to patch it then? It's difficult to tell, I looked through many photos and some did look like Ultrafil but those old photos aren't the clearest. I still have a lot of Devils history to learn so thank you guys for the help! 

5 hours ago, iatearockfromthemoon said:

So it wouldn't be totally inappropriate to patch it then? It's difficult to tell, I looked through many photos and some did look like Ultrafil but those old photos aren't the clearest. I still have a lot of Devils history to learn so thank you guys for the help! 

I still have an Ultrafil with a ‘95 Cup patch. It doesn’t bother me, but if I were going to do another one, I would probably wait for an Airknit, which are harder to find. 

If I didn’t have a ‘95 Cup jersey and wanted one, I’d have no problem using an Ultrafil. Maybe not 100% accurate, but close enough for me. 

I have never understood the need to be micro accurate on an authentic.

I could see correct fonts for names and numbers because that can be controled, but a reproduction patch when you can't find one that's 100% accurate isn't the end of the world to me.

It's NOT a game worn and the older stuff gets the harder it is to duplicate with 100% accuracy.

I mean, geeking out about a reproduced patch on a size 46 jersey with Brodeur seems a little crazy to me.

In the end, it is your jersey - for you, do it how you want :D  

44 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

I have never understood the need to be micro accurate on an authentic.

I could see correct fonts for names and numbers because that can be controled, but a reproduction patch when you can't find one that's 100% accurate isn't the end of the world to me.

It's NOT a game worn and the older stuff gets the harder it is to duplicate with 100% accuracy.

I mean, geeking out about a reproduced patch on a size 46 jersey with Brodeur seems a little crazy to me.

In the end, it is your jersey - for you, do it how you want :D  

Agreed, in the end it just matters what you want. BUT, if part of the enjoyment of the hobby of collecting/customizing jerseys is to try to find all of the accurate components, and that’s what you enjoy, I have no problem with that either. 

I spent a little time on this issue, and I was not able to find a single photograph of an Ultrafil jersey having been worn in the Cup finals. Everything I looked at was either obviously airknit or inconclusive.

Part of the issue is probably that the pictures aren't as high res as they would be if they were taken now. If it happened today, they would have been sold online and there would be pictures of the entire set floating around, but I did not see that while I'm searching. 

Instead I went to Getty Images and looked at the pictures that were close-ups so I could see detail. Brodeur, Daneyko, Stevens, Lemieux, all in airknit. 

Then I went to the videotape. As we know, video of hockey from 1995 is awful. When Mike Peluso was on the bench crying like a baby, they showed him close up and I think saw the airknit pattern. Can't be sure. Very hard, next to impossible to tell anything from the video. Sure was fun to watch the celebration again, though. 

So there is no question air knits were worn. the question becomes, has anyone seen proof of an Ultrafil having been worn in the finals?