Hockey Arena's

lafountain

I didn't actually realize that Mellon Arena is the oldest stadium in the NHL. No wonder why the Penguins want a new stadium so badly.

Oldest Stadiums left

Mellon Arena: Opened 1961

Madison Square Garden: Opened 1968

Nassau Coliseum: Opened 1972

Rexall Place: Opened 1974

Joe Louis Arena: Opened 1979

Continental Airlines Arena: Opened 1981

Pengrowth Saddledome: Opened 1983

These 7 stadiums are the only ones that opened before the 1990's. Almost all of them are trying to get a new arena currently. I think the Rangers are the only ones not trying right now.

Eventually all of these will be replaced with modern stadiums.

Actually, I've heard that they want to rebuild Madison Square Garden across the street. I can't understand why they would ever do that, but the person who told me seemed pretty confident about it. I hope he's wrong.

Actually, I've heard that they want to rebuild Madison Square Garden across the street. I can't understand why they would ever do that, but the person who told me seemed pretty confident about it. I hope he's wrong.

Here is the information I could find about it, this is currently the 4th building in NYC to use the name Madison Square Garden.

As of September 2005, the Garden's current owner, Cablevision, has plans to build a fifth Garden. If the project moves forward, a new Garden would be built at the western end of the James Farley Post Office, on 33rd Street and Ninth Avenue across the street, which is also eyed for a western expansion of Pennsylvania Station. The new Garden, which would remain home to the Rangers and the Knicks, would feature wide concourses with stores and restaurants, luxury boxes with better sight lines for basketball and hockey games, a museum, and a hall of fame. The current Garden would be torn down to be replaced with an office tower.

I didn't actually realize that Mellon Arena is the oldest stadium in the NHL. No wonder why the Penguins want a new stadium so badly.

Oldest Stadiums left

Mellon Arena: Opened 1961

Madison Square Garden: Opened 1968

Nassau Coliseum: Opened 1972

Rexall Place: Opened 1974

Joe Louis Arena: Opened 1979

Continental Airlines Arena: Opened 1981

Pengrowth Saddledome: Opened 1983

These 7 stadiums are the only ones that opened before the 1990's. Almost all of them are trying to get a new arena currently. I think the Rangers are the only ones not trying right now.

Eventually all of these will be replaced with modern stadiums.

Adding to the above information.

New Jersey is moving into a new arena for the 2007-2008 Season (Currently called Newark Arena)

Here is the information I could find about it, this is currently the 4th building in NYC to use the name Madison Square Garden.

As of September 2005, the Garden's current owner, Cablevision, has plans to build a fifth Garden. If the project moves forward, a new Garden would be built at the western end of the James Farley Post Office, on 33rd Street and Ninth Avenue across the street, which is also eyed for a western expansion of Pennsylvania Station. The new Garden, which would remain home to the Rangers and the Knicks, would feature wide concourses with stores and restaurants, luxury boxes with better sight lines for basketball and hockey games, a museum, and a hall of fame. The current Garden would be torn down to be replaced with an office tower.

Adding to the above information.

New Jersey is moving into a new arena for the 2007-2008 Season (Currently called Newark Arena)

Yeah... sounds nice, but I've never really had a complaint about MSG so the project sounds like a tremendous waste of money to me. It might be an improvement, but it seems so marginal, with so much extra garbage like stores and museum, that it just seems like a big waste of cash.

I hope they build a bullring with it. I don't know if anyone caught video of a bull that was on the loose in the streets of Newark on Friday morning. :blink:

• 1 month later...
It might be an improvement, but it seems so marginal, with so much extra garbage like stores and museum, that it just seems like a big waste of cash.

But those stores, museum, restaurants and luxury boxes with better sight lines would bring IN big piles of cash. I don't know why they haven't replaced the current one based on greed and/or sports economics by now myself.

The new Garden is just speculation right now. Frankly, the Garden is still one of the best arenas in the league. Great sight lines, lots of luxury boxes and easy access. I wouldn't mind seeing a big, shiny, new Garden a few years down the road though.

The Newark Arena that is being built to house the Devils is now going to be called the Prudential Center.

Heh...a brand new building to accomodate their 10,000 fans.