Jump to content

Any signs of changes to the Adidas retail "authentics" format and MIC not being available at all?


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, KB67 said:

The Canucks has the exclusive on the 50th patches until the end of the regular season, so the day the season was officially canceled, they new that National Emblem and Patch Collection we’re going to start selling them way cheaper than they were selling them for, so they decided to post them on the website to try and move as many of them as they could before people saw that they were now available elsewhere.

Who told you that? I raised the fact that Buffalo and Calgary had their anniversary patches available with National Emblem and the Canucks told me their 50th patch would only ever be available on the jerseys they glue them to in-house. 

I love my team, but the Canucks retail ops just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If what you say about this patch exclusivity is true, then they lied to me all season when I tried to get them to sell me one, in addition to assuming I didn't know that the jerseys in-store and on Vanbase are different than what the players wear when I asked to buy one for that very reason. 

 

As for the MIC jersey cost discussion, I don't doubt it's a high cost on them. I also think that in the time we're in now, the league and its teams (like all others) need all the revenue they can get. As long as they're not depleting stock or taking a loss on said cost, if some collectors like us offer a significant chunk of money for one, I would think they would at least listen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jsh139 said:

I know who you're talking about (@HannuVirta, I think? Or maybe it was @JunkyardAthletic)  But I don't recall him saying that.  But, yeah, that supports my theory of high cost of materials + high cost of labor and not enough demand for the high-priced resulting product leading to the outsourcing of jerseys.

Someone definitely did say that, I don't recall who it was though. The question is, then, why the fvck would they do that? The old materials were way better IMHO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to go ahead and suggest it's the high MARGIN on the offshore products. I do not think the material cost would be a significant driver.  Someone probably got a feather in their cap and a bonus because they probably made a business case that here is how much more you can make by shifting all the retail "authentic" sourcing offshore based on labor cost savings.

I'm wondering did they close the factory in Quebec that made the Edge 2.0s?  Or, if that same plant makes the Adidas, did they fire a large percentage of those people who had been making the jerseys we love for years (was that the same plant that made 6100s and 550s?).

I am a free market fan, but there should have been some internal limits the NHL set that respected those workers.  They had been part of what the NHL was.  I loved how all my real authentics and 550s were made by people who very likely had a strong connection to the game.

And I wish the NHL Players would have made a stand about that, but I guess those people's jobs didn't matter (especially if this did increase Hockey Related Revenue, and contributed to a higher Cap and thus partially went into player pockets).

 

Edited by LondonGardens
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Van67 said:

As for the MIC jersey cost discussion, I don't doubt it's a high cost on them. I also think that in the time we're in now, the league and its teams (like all others) need all the revenue they can get. As long as they're not depleting stock or taking a loss on said cost, if some collectors like us offer a significant chunk of money for one, I would think they would at least listen. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the teams aren't getting any more revenue for a MiC jersey vs. an Indonesian-made one.  It's in the licensing, not the profit-margin in the materials.  In fact, because they're selling more Indos, the teams are probably making more money this way.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always say, the jersey collecting is already a very small niche. Now the people who actually care about what the players where is a fraction of that. There’s just not enough demand. 
 

I just don’t think the extra effort and manufacturing is material enough to anyone’s bottom line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Edge jerseys were made at the Maska plant and the Adidas jerseys are made at the SP plant, so two different manufacturers 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KB67 said:

The Edge jerseys were made at the Maska plant and the Adidas jerseys are made at the SP plant, so two different manufacturers 

Are both in Quebec?  I had no idea there were two plants and thought edge and adidas were made at the same one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TMLFAN said:

Are both in Quebec?  I had no idea there were two plants and thought edge and adidas were made at the same one.

CCM owns the Maska plant, and when Adidas sold off CCM, they started using the SP facility in Granby to produce their jerseys as far as I can tell. Also, the tags on the inside of the MiC Adidas no longer say anything about Maska on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have any pics, but after the 2017-18 MICs, they removed the Maska logo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

I don’t have any pics, but after the 2017-18 MICs, they removed the Maska logo. 

Bingo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s 2020, nobody should remove their Maska. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2017/18’s do have the Maska tag. Another one, made near the end of the 17/18 season (4/18), already has the Adidas tag, and not the Maska one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The plant switching has me curious about something. 

I think it’s been generally accepted that the Adidas on-ice jerseys are about a size smaller than their equivalent Edge 2.0 sizes. 

However, there’s been some speculation that the first year 2017-18 Adidas Jerseys are sized different than the 2018-19+. I don’t have any 2017-18s in the same size and condition as a 2018-19+. Anyone able to compare apples to apples? I tried comparing a 2017-18 size 56 to a 2018-19 size 56 and the 2018-19 was longer in the sleeves and wider in the body. But, the 2017-18 was worn in like 20 games and the 2018-19 was worn in one period. So, not a true like-for-like comparison. 

Edited by jsh139
Link to post
Share on other sites

^Not near my collection right now so I can't compare that specifically. However, that isn't the only suspected change that occurred after the 2017-18 jerseys. If you compare a 2017-18 to anything from 2018-19+, those dimples on the shoulders are significantly deeper than on the 2017-18.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

The plant switching has me curious about something. 

I think it’s been generally accepted that the Adidas on-ice jerseys are about a size smaller than their equivalent Edge 2.0 sizes. 

However, there’s been some speculation that the first year 2017-18 Adidas Jerseys are sized different than the 2018-19+. I don’t have any 2017-18s in the same size and condition as a 2018-19+. Anyone able to compare apples to apples? I tried comparing a 2017-18 size 56 to a 2018-19 size 56 and the 2018-19 was longer in the sleeves and wider in the body. But, the 2017-18 was worn in like 20 games and the 2018-19 was worn in one period. So, not a true like-for-like comparison. 

I mean SP/Nike jerseys in general are known to be tents so that would not be surprising at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, something definitely changed. When the 2017-18 Adidas came out, I laid one on top of a similarly sized Edge 2.0, and it was much smaller. I have a 2019-20 size 52 and put it on top of that same Edge 2.0 52 and it’s actually bigger. The sleeves are about 1-2 inches longer and the body is slightly longer as well. Very interesting 🤔 

2016-17 Edge vs 2019-20 Adidas

 

2016-17 Edge vs 2019-20 Adidas

 

2016-17 Edge vs 2019-20 Adidas

 

Looks like Flickr embedding is fixed btw :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this also explains why those 25th Anniversary Anaheim Mighty Ducks jerseys they wore during the warmups and auctioned off were made of Flo-Knit, because Adidas is getting made in the SP factory which makes all the Flo-Knit jerseys for Nike for the Olympics and the World Championships. It’s all coming together now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s 2020, nobody should remove their Maska. 
 

 

Zing! 



I didn't want you to think this was lost, or that we all haven't appreciated your restraint (TWSS) since the board has been back up. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Phil the Thrill said:

^Not near my collection right now so I can't compare that specifically. However, that isn't the only suspected change that occurred after the 2017-18 jerseys. If you compare a 2017-18 to anything from 2018-19+, those dimples on the shoulders are significantly deeper than on the 2017-18.

I don't know if that's the case. Tagging is definitely different, but dimples and sizing isn't far off. 

Here are tags: 

1600272591834-vi.jpg

Here are those same jerseys (size 54) on top of each other. The one from 2019 is just the slightest bit longer. Sleeve width/length appear to be the same

1600272596709-vi.jpg

Dimple comparison 

1600272972378-vi.jpg

Dimples all appear the same to me

1600272992447-vi.jpg

This comparison actually surprised me the most. If you had asked me if the sizing between Reebok and Adidas was different, I would have said yes. But putting a Vegas 52 over this Hawks 52, the sizing is almost identical. The Knights is a tiny bit wider in the body and the sleeve is popping out slightly, but seeing as they're cut differently it's more difficult to line them up. Still, almost the same

1600273581441-vi.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t get pictures until this weekend, but I definitely noticed the dimples on my AreTnas MIC (worn December 2017) vs. my Golden Knights MIC manufactured after the 2017/2018 season. The depth just appears much different on the newer Adidas jerseys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Zing! 



I didn't want you to think this was lost, or that we all haven't appreciated your restraint (TWSS) since the board has been back up. :)

I’m happy that one landed. Usually I’m the only one enjoying my dad jokes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

I didn't want you to think...that we all haven't appreciated your restraint 

She would've said that but for the ball gag. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phil the Thrill said:

I can’t get pictures until this weekend, but I definitely noticed the dimples on my AreTnas MIC (worn December 2017) vs. my Golden Knights MIC manufactured after the 2017/2018 season. The depth just appears much different on the newer Adidas jerseys. 

Hmmm.... I purchased a WCOH jersey when they were first released in 2016 and those dimples were much shallower (almost like retail dimples), however I had a preseason Pen's jersey from the 2017 season and those dimples were the exact same as all the others I have. Haven't seen any NHL examples of different dimples

Link to post
Share on other sites

Figured I would join the party of comparing sizes. These are all MIC Adidas Size 58. The CKA is wider than both Canucks jerseys, and it's noticeable when I put each one on too, yet the 2018 ASG jersey is wider than the CKA jersey. CKA's arms are wider than all others, but the stars sewn on CKA's arms makes comp photos a pain. 

89KiCdP.jpg

9DoYAwl.jpg

WL9Vpf8.jpg

VAN White Tag

iUU6kEI.jpg

2018 ASG Tag

9YHFexp.jpg

VAN Blue Tag

GyQwH8F.jpg

CKA Tag

sn6abzw.jpg

 

Also looked at dimples and the white Canucks seems like a bit less weight was put on the press than the others, that all feel the same. 

Edited by Van67
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...