Slovakia Question

lafountain

A pretty interesting question was brought up over on another board, so figured I would bring it up here.

For Slovakia Marian Hossa wears number 81 and Miroslav Satan wears 18, yet in the NHL they wear the opposite number. Any clue as to why they change jersey numbers when it comes to playing for their Nation?

A pretty interesting question was brought up over on another board, so figured I would bring it up here.

For Slovakia Marian Hossa wears number 81 and Miroslav Satan wears 18, yet in the NHL they wear the opposite number. Any clue as to why they change jersey numbers when it comes to playing for their Nation?

Only thing I can think of is 81 was taken when Miroslav made the Slovak team the 1st time and #18 became his regular Slovak number. So when Marian H made the Slovak team "his" (?) #18 would've been taken already and perhaps #81 opened up. Which raises the question: why Miroslav S. didn't take 81? Maybe superstition?

Started in the NHL with #32 for the Oilers according to hockeydb and I think 81 wasn't taken then when I looked it up yesterday so more questions arise :P

Funny picture I came across. Only slightly insulting :D ... (Oops turns out Slovensko is actually another name for Slovakia. I thought they made an error there and mixed up Slovakia with Slovenia on the jersey :blush: )

7wp55iu.jpg

7wp55iu.jpg

I must have that jersey. There's a gap in my Peter Bondra collection.

I must have that jersey. There's a gap in my Peter Bondra collection.

^_^ . One thing I've always wondered about that style of jersey is whether everything is screenprinted which it always looks to me. In the summer someone was selling a game used Romania goalie jersey in that style (on a local trade site) which is probably very rare and I probably should've bought it or at least informed about the price which wasn't stated. Could've been a good trade jersey ...

Also saw a Finland one go a while back on eBay for not much at all but I don't really care much for screenprinted ones.

^_^ . One thing I've always wondered about that style of jersey is whether everything is screenprinted which it always looks to me. In the summer someone was selling a game used Romania goalie jersey in that style (on a local trade site) which is probably very rare and I probably should've bought it or at least informed about the price which wasn't stated. Could've been a good trade jersey ...

Also saw a Finland one go a while back on eBay for not much at all but I don't really care much for screenprinted ones.

I have a Swiss jersey from that era and it is screenprinted.

Suisse1990s001.jpg

Suisse1990s007.jpg

I don't really care much for screenprinted ones.

There's a difference between screen printed (ink added on top of the jersey fabric) and dye-sublimated (the fabric of the jersey dyed with color). That Swiss jersey is dye-sublimated (notice how the inside of it is actually white and not the same color red as the outside?) and will look as good ten years and 50 washings from now as it does today. All the great jerseys from the Russian Super League made by Lutch are dye-sublimated and are cool as can be.

The 1996 Nike World Cup of Hockey "Flowing Flag" style jerseys are dye sublimated. The crests are often sewn on embroidered patches, as in the USA & Canada. I sure as hell wouldn't turn down a rare ten year old Slovakia jersey just because it was dye-sublimated since that was the way they were made, including the ones worn on the ice by the pros during the tournament, as shown by that authentic Swiss jersey.

Sometimes I think people get too caught up in how the jerseys are made compared to today's methods. If that's the only way they come, that's the only choice you have. It would be impossible to create the shadowing of the flowing flag with any other methods.

Oh well, less competition for me I guess...

There's a difference between screen printed (ink added on top of the jersey fabric) and dye-sublimated (the fabric of the jersey dyed with color). That Swiss jersey is dye-sublimated (notice how the inside of it is actually white and not the same color red as the outside?) and will look as good ten years and 50 washings from now as it does today. All the great jerseys from the Russian Super League made by Lutch are dye-sublimated and are cool as can be.

The 1996 Nike World Cup of Hockey "Flowing Flag" style jerseys are dye sublimated. The crests are often sewn on embroidered patches, as in the USA & Canada. I sure as hell wouldn't turn down a rare ten year old Slovakia jersey just because it was dye-sublimated since that was the way they were made, including the ones worn on the ice by the pros during the tournament, as shown by that authentic Swiss jersey.

Sometimes I think people get too caught up in how the jerseys are made compared to today's methods. If that's the only way they come, that's the only choice you have. It would be impossible to create the shadowing of the flowing flag with any other methods.

You are so right, Jeff. The sublimated jerseys still look great years later. This jersey is a "Flowing Flag" style and looks awesome in person. Most of my Bauer IHL's are sublimated, as were a couple of my Pro Players. Many great jerseys are fully or partially sublimated.

That does indeed make a difference. The 2005 Czech jersey also still has the sublimated dye. But is the logo dye-sublimated as well then or is that what you (rabinsurance) meant? Or just the USA & Canada ones?

Also came across some older jerseys in some pics, the Reebok jerseys, but can't remember having seen those around anywhere. Definitely not anytime in the last 5 years. Might vaguely remember having once seen the Russian ones somewhere ...

That does indeed make a difference. The 2005 Czech jersey also still has the sublimated dye. But is the logo dye-sublimated as well then or is that what you (rabinsurance) meant? Or just the USA & Canada ones?

Also came across some older jerseys in some pics, the Reebok jerseys, but can't remember having seen those around anywhere. Definitely not anytime in the last 5 years. Might vaguely remember having once seen the Russian ones somewhere ...

Everything on that jersey is sublimated. I should not have used screen-printed. Sorry about the confusion. I bought that jersey a few years ago in Windsor, ONT very cheap. The place I bought it from had a few others, such as Russia IIRC. They were all fully-subbed. I wish that I had bought more of them. Hindsight is 20/20.

Sublimation was quite the rage in the 1990's. From what I understand, the process involves heat and pressure. This is why the colors do not bleed or fade.

Early in his career Miro wore #18 as well as #81 with Buffalo. I have a jersey from the CCM tagged neck era that has SATAN #18 and found a few pics on Getty Images of him wearing it back in November of 2000. I remember hearing that he went back to 81 after doing poorly while wearing #18, but I'm not 100% on the story behind the switch, and as to why he did it in the first place as he had been wearing #81 in seasons past.

As for Marian Hossa, while he made the national team (now coached by his father) before his younger brother Marcel, its kinda funny that Marian takes Marcel's #81 during international play and lets his brother shift to #91. Marcel wore #17, as it was one less that Marian's until he was 17 from what I was told. He wore #17 in Portland for two seasons before switching to #81 his final year. The reason behind that was it was his brother's number reversed and also his birth year. You would think Marcel would go back to #17 but for whatever reason he didn't.